Decarb

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Rookie12, Nov 11, 2006.

1. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I got a 2004 Mercury 50 ELPTO and was wondering what I need to do to decarb this thing. I've never done it yet, and it's probably due. Any tips. One guy just told me to run it on the muffs in the yard and run a can of seafoam through the intake and let it clear out good then change the plugs. He said you wouldn't believe all the carbon that will come out. He also suggested putting a set of plugs in it too. Any suggetions?

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Get you a bottle of sea foam or engine tuner. Sea foam is my choice. Put you a gal of fuel mix in a portable tank and mix about 3 or 4 oz of sea foam in it. Put the muffs on in the yard and run about 1/3 or 1/2 of mixture at idle and then remove plugs and squirt some inside plug holes while engine is warm and let it set foe an hour. Take it to the water and run it at wot for a few min and then let it cool for about fifteen min then put some more in the plug holes and run it for about 15 min at WOT.

Then go back to your regular mix and add about 2 oz of sea foam to the mix and run like you normally do. This should clean all the carbon out. After doing all this then change plugs. I would add 2 oz of sea foam every time I filled up the fuel. this is a good stabilizer and cleaner to.

If the plugs are a year old then go ahead and change them out after the decarb. If you run a gap type plug then gap them at 40 and it will make it burn better at low idle speed.

3. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    Thank you very much

4. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    can you do that to smaller say 9.9 engine or just 50 hp merc.thx in advance.

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill

you can do this to any size 2 stroke

6. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Good afternoon Bubba, what's your thoughts on the old saying,"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" ?

I'm not sure about 2 strokers but several of my customers have 4 stroker boats, along with motorhomes equipped with generators, which have always recommended decarboning.

Now for awhile I have been suggesting that they run Sea Foam, etc. on a regular basis & to let me check out the cylinder condition using a boroscope prior to decarboning. As of yet I have not seen the need to do anything other than replace the plugs.

Tell me watcha think, thanks Elliot

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Elliot I would recommend running seafoam thru any thing that runs on gas or diseal. I run it in every thing I own on a regular basis. Good stabilizer and water killer and decarbonizer.
    Heck I even put it on my beans and cornbread every once in awhile. I got a good clean Doctors report 2 weeks ago.:eek:oooh:

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    This is a very interesting pos as i absolutely had no idea that you needed to decarb an engine ive never even heard of such thanks for the info and reps to you

9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill

They call it carbon now but in the older days we called it coking. All we had to do it with back then was water and tranny fluid. Now ain't that a quirk.:big_smile:

I have cleaned coking out of many a 2 stroke with water and transmission fluid. Take some know how but it will do it. I would do it today on these newer 2 strokes because of all the sensors in them.

10. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    From what I've been told and have seen for myself, it was the oil that caused the coking in the older engines and it was fairly soft.

With today's better two stroke oil and the sorry gas we have to use, the carbon build up isn't totally because of the oil, but the gas. The carbon we're trying to get rid of is near as hard as ceramic and will do damage when it breaks free if it's not presoftened by using one of the agents designed for decarboning

11. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Are 4 strokes decarbed in the same way as the two? I've got a 25hp merc.

12. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Okay, I'm old fashioned. You don't fix something until its broke, otherwise you'll more that likely stir up a bigger mess than what you had to begin with... so, what is this decarb thing? I don't see any reference to it in my manuals, is this something somebody thought would be a good thing to do to a motor. How often should it be done. Why in the world should it even be done? I never heard of decarbing an automobile engine unless it was being rebuilt.

13. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    In the old days what you heard was "Put a tankful of premium in your car and run it fast on the Interstate.That will blow the carbon out"Once again; todays gasolines promote carbon buildup.That is why the Outboard industry went to the TCW-3 standard which if you read it, directly addresses this issue.Todays gasolines also deteriorate far faster than before and promote sludge,carbon and gunk buildup.Thats why the engine manufacturers all make their own brand of engine tuners.All this crap attendant to modern gas burns and becomes carbon,coke etc etc.That is why you should put a good stabilizer in your gas all the time.Sea Foam, PRI-G and others all reduce the buildup,help clean it up and keep the gas from deteriorating.If you have gas with ethanol in it,you need water protection also.SOme stabilizers DO NOT protect against all these things .Read the container first.:big_smile:By the way according to a recent study by a boating magazine, Shell and BP are two of the cleanest gasolineswith the best additive packages in their blends.If you never heard of decarbing a car then go to Walmart and look in the auto section where they have all the fuel system cleaners,read a few of the containers and I'll think you will see it is a highly recommended procedure.

14. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    Bubba, Is that 2 oz for 6 gallons of gas? and does the same formula apply to my Nissan four banger?

Then go back to your regular mix and add about 2 oz of sea foam to the mix and run like you normally do. This should clean all the carbon out. After doing all this then change plugs. I would add 2 oz of sea foam every time I filled up the fuel. this is a good stabilizer and cleaner to.

15. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Yes you can add just 2 oz or add 3 it doesn't matter. I useually add just a little more then what the can says to add.
    This keeps the lines clean from junk and the carbon off the rings and piston tops.
    Add the same amount to a 2 or 4 stroke.

16. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Hey Will, Just read the postings and have a question you may be able to answer, I used the sea-foam in the car truck, semi, evrything, in my 25 Merc, I have been using the Sta-bil product, for 2 years now, have not had any problems to speak of (knock wood) after a couple months of winter storage she fires up first crank, any way just wandering what your or anyones thoughts are on that product? seems to be doing ok guess I should take a peek in the plug hole with bore scope and see eh?
    Thanks for your information. Randy

17. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Randy I would use the sea foam. (You guys quit it you knew what I was going to say) Stabil is good but it doesn't have a cleaner in it for carbon but it is a stablizer and seafoam is both.

18. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Thank ya Sir, Decided to read more on both of them and I may as well just use the sea-foam considering I use it in everything else, thanks again Randy