Decal

Discussion in 'Boat Safety' started by Kutter, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    After making arrangements online, the Coast Guard sent a inspector to my house last Monday. He went over the boat with a fine tooth comb and pronounced it safe. I got the sticker on the windshield. Maybe the water patrol will leave me alone for awhile. LOL

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Where did ya start this quest? I would be very interested in this. THANX!

3. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
  4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    GREAT LINK!!!!! But I have lost about 2 hours of my time by visiting that site. There were two items I found which has been discussed and cussed on our site, and I thought I might post them just for clarification. They are...

(1) Also, if there is no capacity plate on a boat less than 20 feet, the following formula can be used to determine the maximum number of persons that can be safely carried in calm weather: Boat length multiplied by boat width divided by 15 (LxW/15) = Number people that can be safely carried in calm waters.

(2) Question: My Vessel is 14ft long and the capacity plate says the highest HP is 50HP but I have a 70HP. The previous owner had the vessel registered with the 70HP on it. Will it pass the VSC if not then what do i do? What are CT state laws about capacity plates?

Answer: A Vessel Examiner cannot pass a boat that is in excess of any of the restrictions listed on the capacity plate. Many states have rules and regulations against exceeding the capacity plate limitations and you could receive a citation. Also most manufacturers will void the warranty if the the boat is overpowered. Some insurance companies may cancel policies and deny claims if the vessel is overpowered. A CG boarding officer could also cite you for unsafe operation if the over-capacity made for unsafe operation or endangered the vessel or passengers.

You should only use a motor that fits within the capacity restrictions of the vessel.

5. ps72103

ps72103 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I got one last year and was told that they don't give tickets when they inspect. The guy that did mine told me that i passed but just needed to get signal flares which i Arkansas you have to have if on federally controlled water like the Arkansas river

6. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I don't have one from the coast guard but I have one of these on my boats and dock. :big_smile:

They also give members free towing if needed.

7. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Kutter, they did not see you behind the wheel or you would be grounded. lol

8. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Shhhhhh, I was hoping the the decal would fool somebody, who obviously has never ridden in my boat, to go fishing with me.

Oh my gosh! I just realized that the only person from the BOC who has been brave enough to have ridden more than once in my boat, was John Baze, may he rest in peace.

It wouldn't hurt my feeling so much if it weren't for the fact that two fellow BOC'ers don't post anymore, after ridding with me. One of whom NEVER posted once after riding with me. The wingdike we got blown over wasn't THAT bad. And I did get us off the water before the lightning hit.

Some folks just don't have a sense of adventure about them.
    :0a10: