Dec 8th 2004

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by kat in the hat, Mar 18, 2007.

1. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    With all this talk of everyone's favorite music, I felt compelled to add a little from my perspective. Afterall, what better way is there to get to know someone online than to discuss the things we love, and aspecially music as it says alot about a person what they lsten to.

Anyways, I'm a gutar player by hobby. I've been in several bands starting in highschool up until a few years ago. So, my musical interests have always been with the guitar bands. There have been many AWESOME guitarists to grace the stages across the USA, and abroad that I have idolized. Randy Rhoades, Zakk Wylde, Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page, Eddie VanHalen, Steve Vai, Stevie Ray Vaughn, and many, many, many more. I could fill an entire page with just my favorite guitar players.

This post is about who I believe to be the very best of my contemporaries, and possibly the most talented guitar player to ever stand on a stage before thousands of screaming fans doing what he loved to do, and that's throwing down on a guitar.

Many of you know who I'm talking about, but many do not because Pantera, due to their "progressive" style, and explicit content, never got much radio play. But that's how they wanted it, and despite not having the benefit of radio advertising, they became the apex of heavy metal music.

On Dec. 8th 2004, Dimebag Darrell Abbott was shot and killed on stage at a nightclub in Ohio. This was without a doubt one of the saddest days in my life, and many other's as well. My heart goes out to his family, and especially his brother Vinnie Paul Abbott who was not only the drummer for Pantera, but Dime's bro., and best friend.

You may not care much for metal music, or agree with me or the music, but these brothers were top notch individuals. I once waited around after a show in KC, and Vinnie Paul came out in the freezing rain, and shook my hand. For lack of something better to say, I said "Man, you guys rock!!" He said "No, you guys rock! I wouldn't be here if it weren't for our fans. Thanks for coming to see us." I couldn't believe how humble this guy was. Their music may seem harsh to some, but these are some humble, and VERY talented individuals.

So, please take a few moments to watch this video of the late, great Dimebag Darrell Abbott...My all time favorite guitarist, and IDOL!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2PMFIL3neU

2. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    :too_sad: No love for Dimbag? Awe. Guess I shoulda done it on Bon Scott.

3. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    NICE POST BROTHER, I'M STILL TRYING TO FIGUR OUT WHO HE IS.LOL SORRY

4. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    who is bon scott ? nah dont matter he's no darrel abbott

5. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    Long live the Black Tooth Grin

6. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
  7. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    Being burried with Eddie's gutar is saying something. Like I already said, many don't even know who Dime is/was, but he was BIG TIME. Pantera was understated to say the least, and I blame that on Phil Anselmo the front man. Not that he didn't have his moments of genius, but he wallowed in his heroin addiction, and ran them into the ground with his ranting. Don't get me wrong, as I LOVE Pantera, but all that hate is a turnoff for most folks. I know Van Halen probably wasn't such a Pantera "fan", but recognized Dime's superior talent regardless of his band's genra. Dimebag was also invited to play guitar for Megadeth, but wouldn't play witout Vinnie because Dave Mustain had already hired Nick Menza. I can only immagine where Megadeth would've gone With Dime, and Vinnie behind Dave's demented lyrics. OMG that woulda rocked! Dime, Eddie, and Zakk Wylde were also supposed to have a collaboration that woul've been CRAZY had it happened.