Dec 19th '07 Fishing Report.

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by RIVER-RAT, Dec 20, 2007.

1. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Hello my fellow Missouri Catfishing Brothers. :big_smile:

Darryl (AKA SkipEye), Joe (not yet a fellow BOCer) and I (AKA RIVER-RAT) launched from down town St Louis at approximately 0945 hrs on Wednesday 12/19/2007 in a feable attempt to catch some of these "winter time blues" that I keep reading about. I had some SkipJacks from the Freeze Fest Ryan (AKA stlcatman) and I attended on Monday 12/17/2007, in which we ended up as two frozen skunks! :smile2:

Anyway, we decided to go ahead and try to catch fresh bait to accompany the frozen skipjacks. We managed to catch some asain carp and several SkipEyes. After that we headed to the first hole. About a half hour after anchoring, Joe caught a lonely little channel cat. Darryl has the single evidentiary photo of that catch! Long story short, that was the only fish brought to the boat all day! We scoured and surveyed quite a few wing-dykes in a 22 mile stretch of river. THAT'S RIGHT, WE WENT APPROXIMATELY 22 MILES DOWN RIVER AND CAUGHT A SINGLE DINK A$$ CHANNEL CAT! :crazy:

I don't have the greatest electronic fishfinder on earth but it will show me once in awhile fish beneath the boat, not Wednesday, it didn't show ANY!! We couldn't find any fish! I feel like I'm back at square one. This whole "winter" fishing has proved to be quite challenging for me. I would be more than happy to pull up anchor after anchor (all day) for anyone that knows how to find/fish for the blues this time of year. I can read "How To's" all day long but I learn better by practicing "hands-on"! Sooooooooooo, if you don't want to get your hands cold from that nasty, cold, wet and extremely heavy anchor, I'll do it and make short work of it too! :big_smile:

2. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    I went out to Alton last night after you and Skippy fished. I was only out from about 6 to 9:30ish. The only place that I found anything on the electronics was a 60 foot hole. There were some arches about 35 feet along the wall to that hole. Only problem was, it was right in a stretch of river with big a$$ ice sheets floating down. There were sections of ice about 2 or 3 inches thick, and about 8' by 8' square. :crazy: I set one line out to see how it was. And it was only out for about 10 minutes till I was sick of listen to my drag scream from mini icebergs getting caught on it. I tried a few other spots out of the ice flow with no luck. :sad2:
    Time doesn't move by to fast when you're alone, it's dark, it's cold, and the only sounds are ice chunks hitting the boat. And my stomach was growling from not eating any supper. I guess if I would have had some food I could have sat longer while enjoying the aroma of PePe.
    Hopefully I can find a break in the rain sometime Saturday during the daylight hours for some more skunkeness.

Attached Files:

3. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    So who's going to spill the beans on which rock EVERY blue is hiding under this winter? :confused2:

4. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Ya know Rat I was going over the JB bridge coming home from work Wednesday around 3:00p.m. and seen a boat out there about the size of yours and thought to my self I wonder if that is Bill. Sorry you guys didn't have any luck eventually they have to start filling up holes don't they?:confused2:

5. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Hey Rat, I am thinking about going today. If the fog lets up early enough. Let me know if you want to go.

6. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Dude, I need to introduce you to waypoint #207... Just a stones throw from Maple Island… :crazy: My transducer was wearing out and finally couldn’t handle the stress and split… :eek:oooh: since then I’ve had to rely on already marked honey holes… plus they’re places that I know hold fish… :big_smile: It’s your old stomping ground and a good cure for and will give you the winter blues… Give me a pm and let’s work thru our schedules and make it happen.

7. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    Dan, you are a beast. Much reps to you as you seem to be logging a ton of time on the water. Solo, with friends, good weather and bad.........your out there. I've concluded that you either live in houseboat on the river or you've got just the 'perfect' situation with home life (i.e. dream job and lady friend) that allows you to get out there.

Forget the fishing tips for now, I want to know your secret for getting on the water. I can't catch squat if I can't soak a line.

8. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

Thanks Michael, No one has ever called me 'dude' before but you can call me what you want if you show me where the heck these Blue Cats are wintering.

Ummm...... maybe this post wasn't for me?????:wink: Sure seemed like it though, exactly what i was hoping for.:smile2:

9. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    Rat, sorry for the snub. It's just personal.

10. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

Greg, it's ALL ABOUT BROWNIE POINTS!!!:smile2::smile2::smile2:

Every married guy knows that!:crazy:

11. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Yup. Brownie Points = Kitchen Pass = Blue Kittens = One Happy Cuz

Its all relative, dont ya think? :smile2:

12. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    Darryl and Cuz, I understand what you are saying......I've gathered some brownie points and used them successfully in the past........but Dan is on another level all together. I have to believe he is doing something a little bit different and that is the secret I'm trying to get at.

13. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    C'mon, Dan is much to young to have attained the Zen Master level of Brownie point acquisition. Much less the art of successful deployment of said Brownie Points!

Have you met Dan? It could be that his wife just wants him out of her hair!:smile2::roll_eyes: couldn't resist!

I fished all the time when I first got my boat but my wife has adapted to the game well and it has since become increasingly difficult for me as a mere Brownie Point understudy. I have much to learn fellow grasshopper!:wink:

14. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Heathen children (boys seem to work the best) are the secret to much fishing time. :wink: I could go to the Amazon for a week as long as I take at least one kid. If she has the choice of being stuck at the house with us 3 or getting rid of some or all of us for extended periods, what do you think she's gonna do? I swear I don't influence the boys in any way to act in a manner that might influence Shawna's decisions, either. :big_smile: My genes took care of that part nicely..........:eek:oooh:

15. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    I can't catch squat wetting my lines!!! I'm going to have to start bringing home some fish, or at least some pictures. My wife is starting to get suspicious. :cool2: LOL!
    No, she's pretty cool about me fishing. She thinks I'm crazy going out to the river in the middle of December. But, she accepts it.
    I guess my secret is... TELL her you're going fishing. Don't ASK if you can go fishing. :wink: I must say that I can't be responsible for injuries, divorces, or any other misfortunes from using the above mentioned advice. :smile2::smile2:

I have NO idea how this ended up as the first post in this thread!!

16. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Damn, I just got a chance to get on here, sorry Bob I missed ya! I wouldn't have been able to make it out there today anyhow, I picked up my baby girl yesterday. Keep me in mind the next time you head out, I'm on vacation until January 2nd, I can possibly make it out there the 26, and during the day of the 27, my number is 314-568-0002.

Hey Mike, boy I'd sure like to get out there with ya, I'm on vacation until January 2nd, I can possibly make it out there the 26, and during the day of the 27, my number is 314-568-0002.

That's alright Greg, I'll just add you to my list!!! :angry::angry:

Mine says #2 and look at the time, I'm in the future!

17. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    I just tried to send a PM. This is what it told me....
    1. This forum requires that you wait 180 seconds between sending private messages. Please try again in 137280911 seconds.

18. Eithne

Eithne New Member

State:
    OK
    bump out of archive....

19. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Well a friend and I hit Weldon Spring yesterday. Took forever to get down the river in that fog. Finally about 10:30 we started fishing. Now i started in places I know have produced this year. We had skipjack, shad, and skipeye. All were frozen. All we were getting were pecker bites. Finally a little above St. Charles I went to a dyke that did real well last winter. After about a half hour we were getting ready to move and my partner caught about a 3 pound channel cat. On the way back up I wheeled in a dyke that caught my eye and we got a blue abut a pound and a half. We did not get skunked. The water was 37 degrees but still dirty and falling slow. Dont have a clue why we didnt do better. I marked fish in a lot of places but couldnt get them to bite.

20. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    I can't believe you drove all the way to the Arctic just to go catfishing!:crazy:

I fished for about 2 hours yesterday, and while there were quite a bit of logs and debris floating downriver, I didn't see any icebergs out there. Air temp of 34 and 20 mph winds blowing upriver (complete with whitecaps) made me wuss out early.