Dec 18th on Potomac River

Discussion in 'MARYLAND RIVER TALK' started by jonnycat, Dec 18, 2006.

1. jonnycat

jonnycat New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Got to Marshall Hall around 1:15pm and headed over to bait spot I used last time. No immediate luck so I went to Pohick Bay I guess it is. Worked for an hour or so for a cutter shad, and a couple other baitfish. After looking all over that area I figured it was time to head back out to the deeper water for a few more throws to see if I could get at least one or two more. About 10 throws later I got 2 cutters in one cast of the net. Wrapped things up for an arch hunting ride. No arches for an hour of hunting so I just decided to try it in the blind so to speak. Went to a spot in about 35ft deep thats produced for me before. Around 4:30 I finally put 3 pieces of cut bait and one live carp about 4in long in some pretty strong current. The head was in the deeper side and got a good hit after 15 minutes or so. It was on the left and that fish made it to the third pole and wrapped the line. About a minute into the fight the third pole starting heading for the deeper water with another fish. Got the first fish netted while the wrapped line was still pulling to deeper water till it finally broke off. The first fish weighed in at 40lbs. The fourth pole was starting to act funny as I was releasing the 40 and it turned out to be an 18lb fish. All in all I thought it was a pretty good trip. Worked hard for bait and feel rewarded for the patience. Got to the ramp and several fire and rescue units there told me someone might have been lost to the river. Send prayers up if it is so. Hope to see some of you out there soon. Later for now---jonnycat

2. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Nice trip jonnycat. And, yes there is a missing boater, just saw the story on the local news. Seems he was racing another boat, and flipped. The story went on to say the boater was an experenced hydro boater. Sad story.

3. jonnycat

jonnycat New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I hate to hear of a boating accident any time yet alone this time of year. I hope they get some closure soon. Probably headed out again tomorrow early AM. Later for now---jonnycat

4. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Sounds like a Good Day to Me Johnnycat. I hope no other fisherman was in the water and lost. J.d.