Debunking myths

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Bill in SC, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Folks, we got run off Lake Wallace again last night by the midges. I mean, they were UNBEARABLE. Must have been a billion or more! I figured the further we got out into the lake, the less they would be, but it was just the opposite and they were worse out in the lake than near the bank. Anyhow, we surely wanted to fish, and couldn't due to the insects. Chris and I were on the way to church this morning and noticed all the cows up and feeding. Our excitement was building as we have always heard that when the cows are feeding, so are the fish. On the way home from church, all the cows were lying down, so our excitement waned somewhat. We've also heard that:

Wind from the east, fishin' is the least.
    Wind from the south, blows bait in the fishes mouth.
    Wind from the west, fishin' is the best.
    Wind from the north, don't venture forth.

Well, the wind was blowing pretty strong from the north, so we figured that to be against us also. Lately, we have been having to use the trolling motor to fish the lake as we have been going at night when the wind has lied down. Today, as stated, the wind was blowing out of the north pretty briskly. Instead of using the drift sock, we used my drift buckets. Surprisingly, the two buckets kept the boat straight as a rail, and between 1/2 and 3/4 mph. We drifted for about four hours. The first fish hit and did a tail walk shaking his head and we thought it was a bass. Upon getting it to the boat, we discovered a 7 pound or so mud fish (bowfin). We fished on and proceeded to land a dozen nice eating size cats. Myths debunked! Of course, we CPRed all of them. They were a fine mix of channels and blues, all healthy and with fat bellies. ALL the fish were caught on bream heads, small live bream, scaled and with their tails cut off, and whole bream scaled and their gut pockets cut into. Water temp was 73 degrees. I expect that within the next few years as the cats grow, lake Wallace is going to once again be a fine catfishery as it was before they drained and restocked it.

Bill in SC

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I agree all those myths can be debunked at times.

I am a firm beliver though on Barametric pressure.

And I have found that I catch most of my flatheads with a baramter reading of 29.80-30.10

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    The barometer was one thing we had going for us. It was falling slightly. It is now steady at 30.23.

Bill in SC

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    BTW: The Bigg Stuff drift weights are the cat's meow. These are definitely a top shelf product, made by catfishermen, for catfishermen, second to NONE!

Bill in SC

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Bill I believe in the cow movement. If they would have been up moving around, your boat would be full and you would still be fishing.:smile2:

6. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I gotta admit them things are so good lookin that they sat on my fishin shelf for a week before I decided to get them dirty ; )~

Bill it sounds like ya gotta cowboy up and wear 2 bandannas and some goggles to keep them bugs out of yer lungs......maybe go for that "road warrior" look, LOL.

-Jim-