death of live bait

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by gamaCatsu, Aug 6, 2009.

1. gamaCatsu

gamaCatsu New Member

State:
    NC
    ok, being that i fish alot with live bait ive came to this concept:wink:

i kept thinking that the position i hook my blue gills,bream and shad were the cause of death so quickly, but in fact i believe its the water temp change, that causes the fish to go into shock and die fast, ive tried several ways to hook my bait thinking that im the cause, from the head to the tail.

well heres the trick, i carry my bait in a 5 gallon bucket most of the time, unless im on the boat and the live well pumps water into it.

if a fish is in water say 60 and your fishing at a local dam or river an the water temp is up to 75-80 add a small amount of water from the area your fishing to your bait bucket or tank to get the fish use to the temp rise and change. do this 2-3 times...most people including myself just throw bait on an go, they most always go into shock and die within 20-30 mins, this idea can and will make your bait live longer on the hook. same goes for anybody fishing on a boat with a livewell. you may be pumping fresh water into the livewell and back out but the temp is not the same! i had a 6 inch shad hooked in the head last 4hrs!! that is until something took a bite outta him.

2. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    i never had a problem with em dyin, i just hook em through the eyes in the current or the back in a lake and let em do whatever, maybe the baitshop i go to uses warm water? it always seems cold and i throw them into 80 degree lakes and rivers.

3. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Makes sense. My GF says that she does it for the fish she buys for the fancy bait tank in her living room.

4. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I think mine is the current also, some days when the current isnt bad I can have them on live for hours and other times they die within 20 minutes, but like you said could be the temperature also, cause the days the current isnt running fast its usually a cloudy or rainy day too. Alot of times these freakin crabs and turtles rip them to shreds too, I reel them in it might only be half the gill left or a section missing:angry: sometimes I dont get a hit at all and my whole gill is missing, I dont know if they wiggled off or something managed to suck them off without making my bell ring or clicker click

5. DTro

DTro Active Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Tempering your bait is by far the best way to ensure that you will have lively bait the entire outing.

Never toss a bait from cold water to warm or vice versa, that is a sure way to kill it.

Another way you can do this is by putting in a 2 liter bottle of hot water. This will slowly raise temp. You can use 20oz bottles as well.

Do the opposite when you need to keep it cool with ice bottles.

6. saros2500

saros2500 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    That's a good idea! I usually throw in a 2 liter of ice to slow and calm my bait down and this seems to keep them alive longer in the cooler but i never really had a problem with shocking them after casting them in. If i have a problem with bait dying ill keep that tip in mind. Thanks for sharing.

7. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    It won't kill tougher baits if the change isn't too great. Bluegills and bullheads are hardy for more than one reason. I've even given my aquarium fish a shock or two but they're called tropical. Gizzard shad won't take a temp shock at all and they're gone.

It's really easy to kill bait in current. I've been having good luck hooking them in the forehead. In the eyes and they die pretty fast.

8. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    Yeah i never tried the hot water bottle thing, I always add fresh water to my bucket while im fishing every 2 hours to try to keep the oxygen flowing and keep them alive, I always add ice to the bucket for the gills and Eels. I bought an aeroator for my bucket yesterday so that will be a first

9. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

They make a metal bait bucket insert that fits a 5 gal bucket,that,s what I use. I keep the aerater on them til I get to the river,then I put the insert into the water where I,m fishing.I might lose 1 or 2 gills in the very beginning,but the rest are already used to whatever temp the water is by the time I use em.I got mine from catfish connection,but I see they,ve discontinued them this year.Anybody know who still carries them?

10. gamaCatsu

gamaCatsu New Member

State:
    NC
    glad to see everybody's opinions and thoughts on this! thanks guys!

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I stopped using live bait many years ago, once I found out I could catch more flaheads, and channle cats on cut bait, especially fresh cut shad heads.

This has made fishing much easier, I now just carry a small cooler with ice to keep my bait cool, no wooring about keeping live bait alive:big_smile:

12. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK

I've had that problem too and what I found is that when I hook them through the back in current they die faster, so I started hooking them through the lips and they stay alive twice as long. the only setback is if a channel comes through and decides it looks tasty he'll hit it and rip it off the hook 8 outa 10 times depending on the size of the channel.

13. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    Moby you're right too. I have always hooked my gills through the eye sockets but in the river they die too quick so I switched to behind the anal fin and they do live longer but sometimes like you said somehow the fish gets them off if they're small. Im gonna try the lips, but I tried through the lips before and I would throw them off when I casted, maybe Its from me trying to sling the SOB to the middle of the river:wink:. We will see next weekend

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  14. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    My bait usualy stays alive long enough and if Im fishing with sahd then there cut bait to me.

15. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    Hey guys, dont know if this will help, I think we went away from the point of keeping bait alive in a bucket to keeping them alive in the water LOL. I went to Wally world friday and bought one of those $5 Bubble Box portable aerators and wow, I went fishing from 5-10 last night and didnt lose a gill. I didnt have to change the water or add any. In fact I still had 3 Gills, an Eel and a 10" bass left so when I got home I threw them in a 20 gallon tank a had with the river water, added a little sink water from time to time, and they are still kicking right now. I think $5 was worth the investment. The instructions says a pair of batteries are good for 36 continous hours, Im in the Army, I can get the batteries for free, now I can keep my bait alive for hours and the ones that do die I will chop them up anyway cause I seem to catch my biggest fish on bluegill head anyway

16. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I keep my bait in a insulated, work type, 5 gallon water cooler. Its insulated,,,keeps temps a lot more stable and wont leak/spill...one note though, it is top heavy so I have to secure it while 4wd'ing around the lake. I drilled a small hole in the topside to run a airline through, then hooked the aerator to the side. I took a pool noodle and cut a piece about 2", then stuck a regular meat thermometer in it so it could float.

I always keep a little ice in it until I get to where I'm fishing.....less stress for the hard bouncing drive in there.

Since I fish pretty shallow, the water temp surface isn't to much higher than the bottom where I fish. Knowing all this I try to target with in 5 or so degrees from my bucket to the water temp. Its just to hard to keep bait alive at 85F or so like the lake is, they end up being weaker from that than the slight shock of a 5F water change.

I go through all this, then I usually end up cutting them up for fresh bloody cut bait anyways, LOL.

17. chad69dart

chad69dart New Member

State:
    Alabama

I go through this more often than not and its crabs for me. i have pulled in a big gill thats only been on for 10 or 15 min and a big blue crab has got a hold to him. Hate crabs unless there on a seafood platter!!:angry: