Dear meet, Deer meat!

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by TOPS, Nov 26, 2007.

1. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    My wife had her first correctly prepared deer meat. It came from a packing house where deer sausage were made. she seemed to enjoy it.

2. Angelkitty

Angelkitty New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    I made some fried deer steak last night and it was good. It was given to us by some friends.

3. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Oh you two stop it already,Have a tough ole buck in the freezor and I cant eat anything hard hardly cause of three teeth that need pulled......Man I love thy deer.Still might get the crock pot out and have a stew or roast

4. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Had a good ole deer roast just this evening.UmUM good.Nice and tender.Luckly my daughter and son-in-law had a doe given to them,helped them skin it out and quarter it or I wouldn't have no deer:sad2:.Still hope for in Dec.
    Get the crock pot out Kenny.Deer Roast, Potatoes,greenbeans and corn all cooked together.Can't beat it.Anybody hungry yet?

5. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    You know I think I am gonna have to since you all are preasuring me...never been good at peer preasure:wink:

6. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    CHILLI

First thing I'm makin outta my doe is gonna be a GIANT pot of DEER CHILLI!!!!!!

7. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    did that yesterday,tony, with some of my boys first deer. it will be lunch too, which mite come early today. lol

my favorite merinade is catalina dressing over night, sweet n rich. for thanksgiving the folks grilled and then roasted a whole quarter of the first deer of the year. yes we had turkey too.

8. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have a question I have never heard this but my brother has a book says yer sopose to keep it in the freezer fo 30 days befor eating...Do any of yas do that?

9. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    havent heard of that, maybe i been doing it wrong. up north i think they hang the meat for a few days. down here it seems silly to hang a deer up in 70 degree weather, so i just soak it in ice for a few days. drain the water off twice a day and cover it back up with ice, seems to have worked... well my whole life i guess.

do any of yall smoke deer roasts? specifically shoulder roasts?

i luv it that way. i marinate it in balsamic vinegar, dales, tobasco, jalapeno's w/ juice, and soy sauce for about 3 days in the fridge. then wrap it in bacon and slow smoke it with oak wood for about 3-4 hours. stuff comes out like a super tender prime rib.

10. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I think I gained two pounds reading these posts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:angry:

11. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    I just got a nice smoker for my birthday this week and have deer on ice. Going to try smoking a front shoulder. Be the first deer I have smoked.

When you smoke yours for 3 to 4 hours does it come out more medium or well done?

12. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    definitely more medium. i wish i could explain the process better, but its just one of those things that i ve allways done. i have left one on too long and had it come out done done. but, i like it with a juicy pink middle.

congrats on the new smoker. what kind did ya get? i want to get one of those fancy green eggs one of these days.

13. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    Thanks JD. :big_smile:

Good, I prefer medium to medium rare as opposed to the more well done meats.

I got the Masterbuilt 40" Electric Smoker through BPS. They ran them for $100 off during the morning after Thanksgiving Sale.

I never thought I would want an electric smoker until I saw a couple of different ones that members had at the Pickwick Gathering this fall. They did an AWESOME job of smoking up food that was the best smoked foods I have ever had and the ease and no worry temp settings cinched it up for me. I decided to give up my charcoal smoker for the electric one.

Well not give up actually, I will keep the charcoal smoker for those power outage times when we get the occasional winter ice storms or bad summer storms that put electric out for a few days at a time. :wink:

14. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv

this is precausionary measures for bacteria. i have some sausage recipies that says all wild game should be frozen 60 days to kill bacteria.
    i just ate grilled loins last night from a deer killed sunday by my neighbor.

and i eat all my deer meat med rare. well done venison gets tough from the lack of inner fat marbeling. rare its nice and tender.

15. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana

when i smoke a big item like that,ill smoke hard for 3hours. then ill wrap it in foil and roast it for a couple more hours till tender. you can move it to a regular roasting pan too.

16. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    A couple of my friends just came back from thier hunting lease in TX,where three of them came home with 3w/t does, 3 turkeys, two wild hogs. they gave me some homemade brats . made from venison, and wild hog. MMMMMMMM GOOD:dribble::dribble::feel_good:

17. DCcatfisher

DCcatfisher New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thats all we eat at my house. We haven't bought any beef in several years except for the occasional steak when the store has them on sale. My wife gets mad when I don't go hunting or fishing, she is also good about helping me clean the deer or fish when I bring them home and also help me package it when we process a deer.

18. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I would like to try wild hog,we dont have them round here .

19. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Anybody tried coating the deer meat with Viva Italian dressing before cooking, man it the bomb around here. Later Andy

20. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Here's something I do with ribs and brisket. It comes out "fall a part tender"!

Smoke your meat, but not till done all the way through. Then mix up some apple juice, brown suger, and honey (mix to taste). Brush it on the meat, and put it in the steamer for a couple hours. AWSOME! Don't leave the ribs in the steamer too long, the meat will fall off the bone!