Dealing with Night Time bugs on the river.

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by BajaCoop, May 14, 2007.

1. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    For those of you that do much night fishing what do you use/do to deal with the ample amount of bugs that we have around the Mississippi river.

I went fishing 2 nights over the weekend and the bugs ate me alive on saturday night.
    I had some repel with 30% or so DEET and i hosed myself and my chair down but it did not seem to make a diiference. i kept the use of my light to a minimum but they stayed on me even when the light was off and had been so for awhile.

Any advice you would have would be appreciated.

2. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I bank fish most of the time, even though I may use a boat to get there. I use an el cheapo WallMart screen room ($40), and burn a citronella candle inside it.

Otherwise, a headnet will help preserve your sanity.

3. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    This may sound crazy but if you eat a small clove of garlic a few hours before you go out the bugs, at least the biting kind, will not bother you nealy as much.

4. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    Dang, if I ate a clove of garlic, I don't think anything would want to stand within sniffing range of me either. :lol:

In all seriousness, most of the bugs I encounter seem to be attracted by light -- so I usually have my headlamp switched to the red light which seems to attract fewer flying insects. Some good campfire smoke seems to keep most of them away, too.

5. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    Plus, an added bonus is it keeps the vampires away... :roll_eyes: Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Ed, you ask a question that I sorely wish I had an answer for. I've been on a couple "nighttime outings" and miserable is putting it mildly. Slimcat and I went out a couple years ago for an all-nighter. We had 10 cans of 'OFF' and a half dozen citronella candles (big and small). Our sanity was NOT preserved and we haven't done that again since, LOL. PLUS, we didn't catch one fish :crazy:

I'm thinking of trying a dozen Thermacell units but that gets expensive. I've heard they work good but haven't got one yet.

6. unclebill85

unclebill85 New Member

State:
    Lee's Summit, Missouri
    Careful using that DEET, get it on your line and you may as well pack up and go home...

I use a head lamp that has a red LED when bugs are thick. I have heard of the garlic trick and believe it to work. My wife has Skin so Soft that I will use every now again...Soft skin and no bugs..hmmm

Mesquito coils are fairly effective as well as long as the wind is not blowing to hard.

i will keep an eye on this post to see tips from others as well.

7. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I've tried the garlic thing and it does seem to work!!! In fact when I purchased my Mastiff from a reputable breeder a few years ago I noticed that the puppy smelled like garlic. I asked the breeder why the the little guy stunk and he told me that he would add garlic to their food to keep the bugs, skeeters and ticks, off of them... so I do believe the garlic works...however you may stink a little and if you have to go home and crawl in bed with your significant other after a night of fishing, you may just get kicked out:big_smile: :lol: :lol: :big_smile:

I try to take a light long sleeve cotton shirt, such as an old dress shirt, it breathes and keeps those pesky pests off your skin! :roll_eyes: Then I double it up with some bug spray... I have noticed that there are these "moth" like bugs that swarm around at night and I havn't been able to find anything to combat them yet, but they don't bite, they're just annoying!

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Start taking vitamin B-12. Its makes your blood taste rotten.:lol:
    I take it religiously in the summer.

9. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    I'm with ya on the B12 idea, but for it to work -- wouldn't they have to bite you first? I'd rather they not poke me with their feeding nozzles just to determine that my blood is not suitable for feeding.

I think the real answer to this conundrum is to find yourself a really sweaty fishing partner who you don't really like much. The skeeters will find him first and not bother with you. ;) Hey, we use bait for fish, why not for bugs, too?

10. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    My brother in law got one of the thermocells to go bear hunting and he swears by it. I'll be getting one next paycheck.

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Give the night fishing to the bugs and come catch those daytime hogs. Simple Thought.:lol: :smile2:

12. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    Thermacells are greate, if there is no wind.

13. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    I've heard of people taking garlic pills when they go hunting to help with ticks and chiggers.
    I don't know if they would help with mosquitoes or not, but it might be worth trying?

Ken

14. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Mark is right. B-12 works. It takes about 2 weeks for it to get built up in your system is the only drawback.

15. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Perhaps I should count my blessings. I dont have a problem with biting bugs out on the Mississippi at night time, of course I fish quite a ways from the banks too. Only problem I have is with the small moths that flock to the lantern lights but they arnt too bad. Maybe I just stink like garlic. :sad2: I know if you fish near the banks the mosquitoes get pretty bad, but off of the wing dyke tips they arnt a problem, especially if there is a breeze.

16. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I'm with Cuz on this one. It seems that if you get on the tips of the wing dkyes they aren't that bad. Try to stay away from the shallow water, and wooded areas close to bank. Since I love the nightime bite in the summer, I will try to get on the tip of the wingdykes. Then I usually set a lantern in the rocks up high up and as far away as I can (usally about 20 yds or so,) just to get enough light to see my rod tips. Therefore the moths, mosqituoes, ect. are kinda drawn to the light and not to me.

17. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I heard from a source (Dreadnaught) that beans and wennies will keep everything away. I don't know for sure, that's just hear say.

18. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    For some unknown reason, I don't get bitten by mosqitoes while fishing on the Mo. river, or MTL. Never fished the Miss. I have never had to use the bug spray that I carry along. But those little bugs that swarm, and die everywhere leaving a crust of bug carcasses on everything are very annoying. Especially when they get in my ears, or eyes. I hate them, but doubt there's anything you can do about them. Red light, or no light is my only suggestion.

19. MississippiJugHead

MississippiJugHead New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The mosquitoes must be avoiding all you and coming where I fish near Elsberry on the Mississippi. Some nights aren't so bad but some nights they seem to swarm light or no light. Perhaps you might try mind over matter...if you don't mind that you are surrounded by potentially disease-carrying, probably blood sucking creatures, then...it don't matter! My mind is eased somewhat by the knowledge that the spiders in the boat are getting some of the bugs first...

1. As little light as possible
    2. 100% DEET
    3. Surrendering to the fact that sometimes you are gonna get bit if you want to play outside after dark

20. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    heres something weird...

me and a few buddies went fishing on the wabash river... well we was out around dusk... to get all set up for some nightfishing.... and the mosquitoes were HORRIBLE...... BUTTTT once the sun went down there wasnt a single skeeter on me for the rest of the night.... around midnight.... weird huh.... o well after dark it was a dream.... no wind... perfect temp... fish coulda been biting alot better.... they were splashing ALL OVER every few minutes ud hear a MONSTER splash it was CRAZY!!

Jeff