Deadly jig for catfish, perch, etc.

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Mac-b, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Several catfishermen and guides are jigging for white perch and catching stripers, bass, crappie and flatheads on a 1/4 to 1/2 oz. chartreuse jig. The white jigs will work but they are not as good as the chartreuse ones. The neat thing about them is you never know what to expect when you are jigging the bottom. So, you need to have a loose drag, just in case. I have attached a photograph of the chartreuse jig.

Owner Hook Company has introduced a bait jig in our market area similar to the one made by Sabiki. I tested it against the Sabiki rig late this morning and it out performed the Sabiki by 9 to 1. Will test them again tomorrow and see what those results will be. If you don't like getting hooked, don't mess with the Owner rigs.

2. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Thanks Mac, I will defenitaly buy one; just hope they carry it around here.

Jaime

3. rob128146

rob128146 New Member

State:
    Rockwell, North Carolina
    Mac where did you get it? BPS or Walley World?

4. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Is that something like a shaped or curved spoon that has a reflector on the side of it???

I can't tell real good.

5. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Mac that looks like an old tackle town spoon to me. At least thats what we used to call them. I used to use them alot for stripers and white bass when there were still some white bass here at LKN. The ones I have are white and are about an inch and a half long. Is that about the size of that one you have? I have used them at the coast before and caught plenty of blue fish on them and also cast them into schooling stripers.

Shane

Attached Files:

6. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    You are correct Shane, but this one does not have the rattlers. As you know they are made by Frank's wife, Doris.

WM, it does not have a curve.

7. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Thanks Mac I think I will go pick a couple up and give them a try.

8. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    I got into a school of larger perch this AM, most were 9 to 11.5" range, typical size is 4 to 7". Also, all of the larger ones hit the Owner's bait rig. The Sabiki only caught the smaller ones and my yellow jig caught several of all sizes and I lost several on the jig at the side of the boat. I fished for about one hour and thirty minutes.

These babies are going to be vacuum sealed and used this fall and winter. Mac

9. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    That is a real nice tip, thanks for the info. I have never tried jigging, but the concept is really not much different from drifting.

10. Pier Pressure

Pier Pressure New Member

State:
    Mt.Pleasant,NC
    Hey Mac,
    Have you ever tried hitting the beads on the Japanese sabiki's w/a spotlight before jigging them? Most of them glow in the dark for night jigging BB's & Alewives, just wondering if it had any effect down deep during the day on them waccamaw's? As always your sharing the good stuff, Thanks Bro.

11. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Mac you arent out there trying to hunt up one of those State Record Perch are you. Roger got you 1 up.:smile2: Those are some pretty flathead baits you got there.

12. baitnwait

baitnwait New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I keep a rod with a 3/4oz white Tackle Town rattling jigging spoon in the boat all the time. You are right about not knowing what may hit them. I've caught bass, perch, stripers, and even a small flathead on it. I'll have to give the chartreuse ones a try. Thanks again Mac.