Deadly instruments.

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by peewee williams, Jun 24, 2006.

1. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Help it live! I once built a 20'x60x4' deep pond in my yard.It was fed by a 4" flowing well with over a 1000 gallon a hour (measured) flow.The water was crystal clear.I stocked it with local caught fish out of the same watershed as the pond.I left the hooks in many as I did not want the fish damaged anymore than necessary.They were going to rust out in a few days anyway,right.WRONG!!! At best it took weeks to months on the plain steel hooks.I gave up on the Tinned,Gold plated and Stainless Steel hooks.Even acid don;t eat Gold and our Acid pumps were Stainless Steel at the Chemical plant where I was a mechanic.Remember.Not only could I see these fish,they became pets and would eat out of your hands.It often eats out a large hole where the hook is in the flesh.Also,several times,food would catch and hang on a exposed hook,so that a fish would be fighting with something in its mouth that it could not swallow.I found that cutting the EYE off of the hook seemed to let the hook work on through easier and quicker.Quite a few of these fish got real skinny and died with time.I learned two lessons from this.Use a hook that will rust,but more important get a pair of pliers that will let you cut the eye off of the hook,instead of cutting the line.Please also remember that Braid does not deteriorate normally.peewee-williams

2. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    WOW... rep points for this.. lot of time and effort into the study... thats why most Pay-Lakes dont allow stainless hooks.. just the bronze ones. :crazy:

3. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    It was just a learning experience that came with the ideal conditions to see what happens.After all,it did actually stare me in the face.I could not help but see it.When fish will eat out of your flat open hand,you get a good look at their mouth.It was not something that I planed.peewee-williams

4. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    I agree PeeWee. I caught a fiddler about 6-7in. long this past week, that I didn't know was even biting. More over I don't know how he got the hook in his mouth he was so small. He was bleeding when I got the little fella in the boat so I kept him. I've heard lots of stories about how they heal themselves, and maybe they can survive a swallowed hook, but if they are bleeding I keep them. I'm putting them back if they just swallowed the hook and I can cut it off.
    Don

5. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I had a similar experience except the opposite. I caught 2 mud turtles one day while fishing. One had the hook so deep I was unable to remove it. I left it in and it rusted out about 1 week later. I dont remember the brand or type of hook. If i was guessing it was an eagle claw standard catfish hook.

The only hooks I dont remove are the ones too deep to get out with pliers, so there isnt an option to cut the eye off in the situation.

Great post. Thanks for the information.

6. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Great post Peewee. I'll definately do my best to clip off the eye of the hook before releasing them. But like the others say, obviously that won't be possible in all situations. Thanks

SudDawg

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

peewee that was a good post and something I'll try to put to practice when I can.

8. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I have bee doing this for sometime andit works.
    when a fish has swallowed the hook, carefully go in under the gill plate and grasp the hook with forceps or needlenose pliers and remove it by bending and twisting it down. it is easy after learned. If the gullet protudes push it back in. I car 3 different sizes forceps in tackle bag.

9. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have often thought about this since.We and most mammals,reptiles and birds have saliva.This should help corrode metal.A fish breathing through it,s mouth and gills keeps everything flushed out with water.Even the hole with the hook in it is constantly being washed with water.Any pointed object with a barb constantly moves forward with the movement of the flesh.Removing the eye,allows it to fall free.I had a few work through the bone in the top of the head with time.I suspect that a swallowed plain hook get,s dissolved in a hurry with stomach acid.I have found very few hooks in fish,s stomaches.Now I never searched for them either.The hooks in the fish in the pond were so obvious,and I had not tried to remove any but the easiest as I thought that they would dissolve or rust right out.It was a real eye opener.It makes me believe that a lot of the EXPERT advice that we often get is theory rather than tested and proven facts.What it "should" and what it "does" is often different.That is why pooling all of our knowledge and experiences on here is so great.Even the clear water out of the LIMESTONE aquifer in my little pond could make it different than in YOUR or MY rivers.Black water rivers are acetic with tannic acid from vegetation.peewee-williams

10. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I had never really thought of this happening and as far to my knowledge have never seen anything like it although I did see a cat with a hook in its mouth that I removed, along with mine before releasing it but that hook was beginning to rust away. There is no telling how long that had been in there and what it could have been doing to that fish. But this truly is a very informative and interesting topic, great posts peewee.

11. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    all i can say is that i once got a piece of muffler tail pipe in my eye, the rust is more painful than the metal. I hope we all doin our best to keep animals and fish from unneccessary sufferin. animals are pretty tough but still experience some discomfort. thanks for passin on all ya'alls knowledge

12. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    nice post peewee, it always makes me feel sick to my stomach haveing to cut the line on a nice fish. Always hoping it rust or works itself out. Things like that usually put a damper on my fishing trip..:sad2:

13. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I am buying a pair of dykes for my tackle box TODAY.

14. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    We use to keep all kinds of turtles in a old boat as a kids.The hooks we couldn't get out rusted out or dissolved.Often in half.We had to be careful as we would find pieces of them in the bottom when we cleaned the boat up.Mouth and body fluids???

We mostly sold live Soft shell and Snapping Turtles for folk to eat.In the hatching season I would walk the sandbanks at night and pick up the newly hatched painted turtles,keep them a few days till the shell hardened and sell them to the city "Kress" pet department.

I stayed on the banks when the soft shells were laying their eggs.I could get a nickle a piece for every fresh laid one I could get.Folks boiled them and ate them.I ate them when hungry cooked and raw but I never liked them.They never got hard no mater how long I boiled them.I have never cared for any of the many types of turtle eggs that I have tried,fresh,salt,domestic or foreign.Turtle meat and eggs of all kinds were legally taken,sold and eaten in many countries in the 60's.I like the meat of the saltwater varieties the best.

I love you brothers and Sisters.peewee

15. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thanks for the great post as usual. I appreciate the info you share with us. Very good/important info. Thank You!!!

16. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    Peewee, you are awesome!! Thanks for this post...had always heard the same as everyone else. Leave the hook in as it will do more damage to the fish to pull it out with the pliers. No more..will do as you suggested. Peewee, You The Man!! :wink:

Linda

17. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hey Pee-Wee thanks for a great post....this a exelent example why the BOC RULES:big_smile_2:

18. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Good post Pee-Wee. I was at a tournament weigh in in November where a guy caught a 108lber. There was a hook buried in its mouth. The tournament puts the fish in a tank during the weigh ins for everyone to see. IMO they take care of the fish very well. The thing that I noticed though was the fish rubbing the hook on the rocks and trees in the tank. It was like the fish knew how to remove the hook. It just keeped rubbing it on the rocks and trees. I just thought that was kinda curious.

19. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    People used my Grandpa as the local vet in the 50's as the schooled trained veterinarian was 30 miles away,usually drunk and if he did show up he was in no shape to do anything.Now you would always get a bill whether he showed or not if you called.FOR REAL! I helped & did for my grandpa when visiting and living with him to help in his later days.

It was surprising at the things that animals get hung in their mouth and everywhere else.Even grazing animals like cows and goats.I think it is usually when something startles or scares the grazers.All rub,paw or whatever either because it irritates or hurts them.This is normally why some one notices that there is a problem,especially with pastured animals.I would say that postbeatle has seen a lot of this as a veterinarian,but I am assuming such as I do not know his practice.Vets do specialize too.Turtles will claw at hooks and water birds peck at them in their wings and claw at ones in their mouth.

I have problems with dry sockets when I get teeth pulled.My gums recede and leave the jawbone exposed.It hurt as bad as my back surgery and cancer does.Twice I have stood in front of a mirror on holidays and weekends with my mini curved needle nose pliers and broke off the exposed jawbone until I got it below the gums.Hurt?Gosh awful!BUT.it felt so much better after I did it the first time that I did it a second and will again!I just imagine the fish and animals are as desperate as I was.

I do believe that all mammals,birds,fish and reptiles feel pain and have a memory of it along with who hurt them.1000 lb.Holstein bulls,Macaws and 4 1/2 foot of Ga-boon Viper with a mouth infection convinced me along with pet aquarium and pond fish when you treat them.It was a couple of months before G-Boon as I called him forgave me.For real.A snake!He went from from easygoing and docile to a attitude with me like he had around all strangers.My Military Macaw still nips me every now and then.He never did before I forced him and treated a wound.I expect to find him on the table like Larry the Cable Guys parrot as He bit the wife this week.Dumb bird.Stupid,dumb bird.Suicidal stupid dumb bird!She has already told me that she is fixing me a duck for Christmas dinner.Yea! I bet it will be a Macaw shaped duck.I told her that he is protected under the endangered species act.She looked at me and said "YOU AIN'T! I like old Sarge too.I will miss him!

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

20. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    great post peewee! i have never agreed with the theory that hooks rust out quickly. now maybe the little light wire crappie hooks might but not the heavy guage 9-12/0 hooks i use catfishing. there is one thing you can do to make the hook more retrievable though. take your needle nose pliers and simply mash the barb down. this leaves a little nub that is more than efficient in keeping the hook from coming out during the fight. now i am saying this in regards to catfish, other species that are prone to leap or that have thin lips, this may not work as well on. as far as gut hooking goes, there is a technique also for removing them. it works on bass but i have not tried it on other species. hold the fish up by its jaw and feed some of the line attached to the hook,down through its gill. this will form a loop of line sticking out of its gill. grab this and pull down. this backward pressure will cause the hook imbedded in the fishes gullet to turn, exposing the backside of the curve in the hook. now simply take your needle nose pliers, grab the hook and pop it out. i was amazed the first time i tried this. it works extremely well and especially if the barb has been reduced. but like i said, i have only tried it on bass. good luck.