Deadliest Catch

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Mike81, May 4, 2008.

1. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Anyone else like the show deadiest catch? It's one of my favorites. I lived in Alaska for 11 years. I coulda/shoulda tried some of that back then...I could of done it 10-15 years ago no problem I'm sure.....I might still be able to but the old back isn't as reliable as she used to be.....:confused2:

2. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Thats a good show, I usually watch it when it comes on. Those are a tough bunch of men.

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    one of my favorites also.. them guys can make some big money if they hit it right! But, can you imagine the work and stress away from home?? rollo

4. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I could deal with the time away from home, done it many times when I was in the military....but the cold and wet wears on you after a while... i been in some really cold situations and I think I could have done the crab boat thing 15-20 years ago.... I think I'm mentally tough enough when it comes to cold, alone and wet..been in some bad situations before but it always works out...just got to be tough....:big_smile:

5. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya like it but they run re runs so often i havent watched it in a while. been watching ax men on history. oregon loggers. its getting to the re run stage now though too.

6. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama

Yeah they re run that stuff to death... I enjoy the new one's though. That reminds me.. I told my girlfriend earlier today I was gonna see if the DC would make me a show...I'll set fish traps out on the river, yell at my help and jump some big waves...lol..... They can call it " The Slimiest Catch" lol :tounge_out::smile2:

7. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I've watched it a few times. I know a guy who was a captain and one of the boats on the series sunk it was his old boat. His brother did it a time or two, its hard work. He had another brother who tried it a bit. Money is good if things work out, but it cost a lot to live there. I coulda done it in my younger days, but now the thought of bein cold, wet and seasick ain't worth it for any amount of money. The weather is something no one can predict, and havin a boat capsize in cold water is no way to go.

8. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    pretty cool show. those guys are tough as nails. never seen so many guys trying to make an effort to catch crabs since my days at the clubs:wink:

9. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    EVER SEE THE ONE WHEN THAT GREEN HORN WAS GONNA JUMP OFF?:smile2:

man he wasnt joking. turn around or im jumping off. and that rouge wave hit them later. phils boat i believe.

10. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    lol...yeh but I bet they were having more fun catching them than these guys....lol....:wink::smile2:

11. fshnutz

fshnutz New Member

State:
    Sacramento California
    I actually did commercial crab fishing. I wasn't in Alaska though, I was in northern Washington fishing for Dungeness crab. It is still some of the toughest and most dangerous work out there. It changed me forever. I look at everyday challenges and laugh. I can't tell you how many times I almost lost a finger.....fingers are endangered species on a commercial fishing boat!!! I encourage any young person to try it. It will teach you a lot about yourself. The average person will quit after the first day. If you last the season you have ba11s of steal. Best and scariest memories of my life.
    Linz.

12. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Yeh I remember that, he was dead serious...he was jumpin off that boat if they didn't take him in.... good thing for him the camera crew was there...lol...don't know what would have happened with no evidence..:smile2: I don't remember who's boat it was but that was messed up. Wasn't it the farwest leader?????

13. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
  14. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Ive been in seas like that but the ships I was on were 3 times bigger than those. I saw this show and if I were not married I would seriously think about it that looks like some of the funnest times. I loved it when we were sailing seas that big. Im suprised that the DC hasnt put out a series that has thier own boat and pays some experienced captian with deckhands to teach new people on how to fish like that.

15. nitronostrils

nitronostrils New Member

State:
    IL
    It's a good series to watch and have no problems paying the price at the store for crab/lobster, it's a small price to pay for the risky occupation. I caught Tuna Wranglers on DC yesterday, I had no idea they caught mass tuna like that and tossing out sharks that got into the holding pins with bare hands:eek:oooh:

16. seacatfish

seacatfish New Member

State:
    Florida
    It`s my favorite show, bar none. It makes me aware of what a playboy fishery we have in the gulf of mexico. Guys still die, but not at that rate, and not in those conditions.

Sometimes when I am iffy about the weather, I watch that show and it gives me the hair to go fishing. LOL

17. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    ya i love the show man! i watch it as much as i can i think its really cool. those guys are tough as hell!

18. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    I watch it religiously and own all the seasons on DVD. It makes me laugh and realize how nice it is to live closer to the equator. :smile2:

19. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    That show rocks! Sig, Edgar, and Norman Hansen rule the Bearing Sea. Long live the Northwestern!

20. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    My absolute favorite show! I love it, even the re-runs; drives my husband crazy 'cause I'll watch it over & over...
    They are for sure a tough bunch of guys; the brutal work, plus all the mental stress the captains go through. I really admire them.
    Did y'all see it recently when Jonathan of the Time Bandit sabotaged one of Phil/Cornelia Marie's lines by tying a Ford TRUCK to it???? Hysterical!!