dead shiners

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by chrisgerow12, May 2, 2009.

1. chrisgerow12

chrisgerow12 New Member

State:
    Michigan
    when your done fishing for the day put yor dead minnows in a bag. refrigerate them. use them for catfishing.{I found that dead minnows tend to work better than live for channels} TRY IT

2. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would have to agree with you on this one. I freeze all my bait at the end of the trip.

3. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    You are right I worm mine on the hook good post thanks for the post

4. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Put them on the hook like a worm and smash them. This works well for me.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Good post Chris. I agree.

6. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I like to freeze them, take them out and let unthaw all day in the shade, refreeze at night and repeat the process for about 4 days.Then when you go fishing and they unthaw they will be soft, take a knife and cut into 3 peices, head, gut section and tail. use separately, they might hit one of them better than the other, or they just might tear-em all up.. I've caught many channels on them this way. Good Luck.:cool2:

7. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    Sounds good to me, Great post

8. irishangler

irishangler New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Last summer I caught one of my largest channel catfish (16 lbs) using a dead shiner from a couple of days earlier. I did like many of you, put them in a freezer bag and froze them. When I went to the lake a couple of nights later I cut one frozen shiner in half and put both frozen pieces on a 5-0 circle hook and got a big bite within 15 minutes. I think more scent was released as the pieces thawed. I've been freezing all left over shiners and bluegills since then. Good post. Thanks.

Mike

9. Bullheaded

Bullheaded New Member

State:
    Norman Ok
    I agree with you. I have caught several nice channel cats on thawed shiners. my biggest being about 10 pounds off of them.