dead shad

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by init 4 the CATFIGHTS, May 4, 2008.

1. init 4 the CATFIGHTS

init 4 the CATFIGHTS New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I was just informed a lake were I fish has got a massive shad die off going on. Anyone have any ideas why? The lake is shallow, and the water temp is low.:confused2:

2. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    I know nothing about that but Im hoping someone else does. curious myself.

3. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    This just recently happen? Was the area iced over? It is normal for a shad kill in lakes. The cats will be feed shallow feeding off of the kill from the winter.

4. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i would get in there, scoop up some dead shad, and fish them right where you see more floating! that can be a bang up time to hang a load of cats. by the way, welcome to the boc!

5. init 4 the CATFIGHTS

init 4 the CATFIGHTS New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The water had been thawed for a long time. I'll have to get somemore info and get back to you all. Thanks!

6. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    on hartwell if the water gets to cold in the winter there will be a threadfin die off which happens from time to time but if the lake has been real cold they could have died awhile back and the water been to cold to let them start to decompose and float up maybe, dont know just a thought but either way I would find the largets areas of floating shad and fish it cause the fish will be eating underneath, stripers also if there are any in the lake you are referring to.