Dead Sea

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by BassMassey, Oct 18, 2005.

1. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    Hey Ohio brothers........now I used to live just outside of newark and used to fish Buckeye Lake kind of often. Never caught anything too big except a 10 lb carp........I've heard rumors about a lot of fish dying in the lake about maybe 10 years ago...........does anyone know anything about this?? I've heard before then the fishing in Buckeye used to be great , with a much better population of cats.......

2. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    It did happen not just a rumor. Went and seen it myself. Couldn't see water for all the dead fish. I heard that something got into the water and did it, but I'm not sure on that, just what I was told. It was slow for a few years after that but has definetly picked back up. It was quite a site in a nasty sort of way. White bellies covering the whole lake. But I would say the cat population is growing in numbers these days.

3. BassMassey

State:
    Oconee
    is that why you don't hear of too many big cats coming out of buckeye these days?? do you think maybe since buckeye lake is so shallow, maybe the oxygen levels got too low??

4. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Oxygen levels could have gotten too low. Definetly not the deepest watering hole around.LOL. As far as big cats there have been flats caught out of there. Not very often but when one is it's generally in the 30 to 40lb range. I think the biggest reason big cats are not caught is no one fishes for them. Most people just don't think there in there. I don't believe there is a very large population of them because of the depth. There are a couple deep holes however that I would be targeting if I was going for a big one. Then you get the local story of how this guy caught a huge one using nothing more than a can of corn and a couple hotdogs. I still love hearing them tales.

5. BassMassey

State:
    Oconee
    Flatties in Buckeye Lake?? your right, i've never tried for them....everytime I go to the lake I bring my ultra lights and a tub of liver, I leave the big garcia at home .............those big shovelheads may creep out of the holes at night right??

6. Catfish Huntr

Catfish Huntr New Member

State:
    Millersport, Ohio
    BassMassey,
    I live about a mile away from the lake and grew up on it. The fish kill that happend was caused by a combination of fertellizer being put in the lake by some means and it causing a huge algee blume. This just sucked the oxygen out of the water and the fish were sufficating. :eek: From Liebs Island out to Sellers Point it looked like we could walk across all of the fish. :sad: The majority were small Channel Catfish and Shad. We did find 3 or 4 large bass and One large Flathead. The Flathead was still alive so we moved it to the south side of Liebs Island. It was a sad sight!! :crying:
    Now here is another smack in the head, I had just found out that Buckeye Lake has been declassified from a sportsman lake to a recreational lake. (cater to the fast boaters) Which means no more stocking of Channel Cats and Saugeye's. I got this information from the owner of Millersport Bait and Tackle. Maybe the state needs to hear from all of the fisherman!!!!! :cursing:
    Well that's all the doom and gloom I can stand for the day.....

Catfish Huntr

7. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    No more stocking, thats such a shame. I guess they figure that selling fuel is better for the local economy. Which I guess is right, it cost twice as much in gas to get here then it does for bait. Sure sad to hear though.

8. BassMassey

State:
    Oconee
    that's terrible.......do you think the current population will be able to sustain itself?? .........Buckeye lake was always good for a last minute fishing trip....My favorite spot was the canal in that really nice neighborhood, Heron Bay...........you could catch usually about 10 cats in a couple hours out there...........and on a Friday night you could hear the music from the bars........it was great............once or twice we've been ran out by the rich folk though.........

9. Mathersm

Mathersm New Member

State:
    Darbydale, Ohio
    Maybe us Ohio men should start a petition and get the lake back to us sportsmen. They may get alot of money out of gas but how about all of us who spend 19$ on a fishing liscense. I think it's bull crap. We need to stick together and see if we can't change things. If anyone knows how to start an online petition I can guarentee at least 10 signatures.

10. Catfish Huntr

Catfish Huntr New Member

State:
    Millersport, Ohio
    I think that would be a great Idea. I know the Millersport Bait shop would be happy to back us!! It's only money in there pockets if they can keep the fisherman coming out, so it would be in there best interest.... I think that we could also get the local Brotherhood to back it to!!

Catfish Huntr

11. Mathersm

Mathersm New Member

State:
    Darbydale, Ohio
    I dont' know to much on politics so I wouldn't know the channels to go through to start one. Anyone have any ideas?