Dead Red saved the day

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by n2fishn, Nov 28, 2009.

1. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Headed to Milford yesterday in hopes of catching some eater cats for a fish fry.

Got on the water about 8am and started looking for some shad.I had some frozen 3-4" shad but wanted to get some fresh one's if possible.

Looked all over in rush creek around the docks and didn't net any.So we headed across the lake into school creek and looked there buy nothing.
    So we started drifting with what we had.Tried 1st in about 20' of water no bites.So went out a little further in 30-35' nothing.Went back across the lake to Fanum (spelling) and anchored up on the windy side in 30' for about 1 hr no bites again.Went into a cover over there and netted on BIG tuna shad.:big_smile:

Headed to the lower end of the lake and anchored again on the windy side in about 30-35' in the mouth of a small cove for about 1hr no bites again:confused2:

So headed for 50' depths and started a drift with light winds.Had 6 poles out.My buddy get's a good hit,But he doesn't finish it.Then I get one but same thing one hit then nothing.I bring my in to see if he got the bait.Nope so I decide to soak it in DEAD RED.Back over the side it goes and no more than hits the bottom and I set it down and Wham,it doubles over.1st blue 6 lbs.Re-spray with the same hunk of bait and back to the bottom 5min another one 5lbs.Still have the bait, so I spray it again with dead red and the smack-down is on.We reeled all the rigs in a sprayed them with the juice.

We ended with 14 blues from 3-9 lbs.All in about 1.5 hrs.My buddy had a Pig on that was pulling drag the min he hit it and turned the boat into the wind.About 1/2 way to the boat he un-hooked:sad2:

So I'm saying DEAD RED saved the day for us.
    1st time I used it this late in the yr.I use it all summer long with great results but now it will go with me in the winter months.

Attached Files:

2. Circlehook Jester

Circlehook Jester New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Excellent job on the blue cats! Looks like some good eatin there. I guess I will be getting some "dead red" and giving it a try. Nice to hear they are biting a little.

3. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    Looks like their ready for a nice hot oil bath. What time is supper?:wink::smile2:

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Good report Tom..Nice fish. Enjoyed the pics. Dead Red is good stuff.

5. KansasKatCatcher

KansasKatCatcher Active Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ka
    I'm glad someone is catching them some cats.Great Job n2fishin.That cought syrup really does the trick.

6. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    im not big on the marketed fish attractants and baits, but i have heard some really good things about this Dead Red, i am going to have to get some and try it out. who knows it may have saved a few of mine and kens trips earlier this fall....

7. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Awesome job Tom and Dave. Sorry yall lost the biggun but its just gettin started.:wink: They look like they have been eatin pretty good.:cool2:
    I think the Dead Red was made for days like that.
    Go Green, recycle your bait.:smile2:

8. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Maybe I shoulda tried Dead Red today, all we could manage on the river was one little channel cat. Good job Tom!

9. Gamblen

Gamblen New Member

State:
    Kansas City, KS
    Good job Tom and Dave. Excellent pictures.

10. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    thanks for the report now i want some dead red lol

11. rwg

rwg New Member

State:
    WICHITA, KANSAS
    way to go Tom, still out there getten them, I cought trout on Thursday and friday, got a good one on Saturday ( 2 1/2 lbs) I forgot my camara today will put a picture up tomarow

12. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Thanks Ron...It was a good weekend to be out.But looks to get colder this week:sad2:

Good job on those trout!

13. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    thanks for the report brotha! nice fish!