Dead or Not?

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by ratkinson, May 30, 2008.

1. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    I recently had an eight foot Rose of Sharon tree given to me by my sister. It did well after replanting. Although the leaf growth is slow, it's steady. The next week she gave me three more, considerably smaller but with fuller leaves. I followed the same water regimine as I did with the large one. Planted them in the same manner, but they showed considerably more stress. I've manged to get two of them to perk up a little to the to where I think they will do ok. The third the larger of the three never perked back up. The leaves are severely drooping and drying out. My question is if the leaves die off will watering and feeding through the roots be enough to pull the tree through for next season? Or is she a gonner? Judging by the progress of the 8 footer(and past experience from my sister's trees) , I expect it to bloom. The two smaller ones may have had to much stress at a crucial time to blossom, but I believe they will be ok. What advice do any of you have for my "barely hanging on" one.

Richard

2. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Heck, I didn't know that it was possible to kill a Rose of Sharon.

Does sound like they were severely stressed. Pull them up and let the original one reseed and you'll have thousands upon thousands of RoS seedlings all over the neighborhood.

3. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have some in my field that I have bush hogged, and they are real healthy. If it dies, figure out what you did and let me know. I have some I want to kill. lol

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Richard,I have found that 'Shultz root stimulator helps a great deal with transplanting any thing. I mix up a few gallons each spring when I put the garden in and all the plants act like they are never changed. I also have used it on bare root trees bought from mail order nurserys. same thing. I got mine at Wallt world .

5. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I'm like CoonX; I've had one for years, planted it as a 1gallon pot, now it's over 8ft tall & wide. Thrives on neglect here in Louisiana. I'd say make sure you're not overwatering by trying to get it to take hold. You could pull it up, or just cut them back & let them "rest out" this year. Good luck!
    Good advice Richard. I never heard of putting it in before your garden, but I'll sure try it next year before I put in my tomatoes & peppers!

6. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    this one time,,, at band camp.... hahahah

long ago i had a stand of them in the yard, took a machete to them and made tomato stakes to thin the stand out. worked out great, xcept about four weeks later they sprouted leaves and took root. end of summer i had two dozen more althea trees. (aka rose of sharon)

they do not like wet feet. make sure the soil is well drained and youre not overwatering. altheas are like epipremnon in that they will root in a glass of water but do not like growing in it long term. very susceptible to root rot. that may be the reason youve got problems now. i moved four of them last year that were victims of root rot. three are doing great and one is trying its best to hang on. ive been drenching the soil with a fungicide mix when watering supplementally and that is seeming to help. if it doesnt snap out of it soon ill just replace it.

althea is perhaps one of the easiest trees to propogate. mere branch cuttings will take root if given good soil and ample water. prune what you have now and just plant the cuttings for more.

7. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Well the third tree that I posted about eventually turned brown and lost all it's leaves. I cut back a little of the new growth which was now dead. Low and behold it is growing new leaves on the whole tree (sans one tiny branch).
    Thank you all for your advice. I guess they really are difficult to kill. I had know idea so many people try to get rid of them. I think they are beautiful and will make a nice addition to my yard. To each their own. Again thank you to all who answered me. By the way I am trying the tomato plant stake thing with branches from one of my sisters trees.........LOL Good luck to you all with gardening.

Richard

8. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Richard, I like the Rose of Sharon as well, but they are not friendly when planted in beds. The do better where you are mowing around them, cause they will have a million little offspring and if in beds, you will spend all your free time pulling seedlings. Good luck with them. Vern

9. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Although some of you thought it was funny that I thought I had killed this palnt. (Some wished I had figured out I how you can kill them...LOL) I have taken your advise and expertise to heart and wanted to share a picture of the first bloom of what I believed to be a desceased tee. Evidently the others are different color varieties, as, they look nowhere near the same color as the buds on this one. Anyway here's a picture and a you thank you from me. Now all you have to do is teach me how to change the date on my camera.......lol (that may be a lost cause)

Richard

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      32.8 KB
      Views: