Dead or alive?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Gibbzilla, Jul 8, 2006.

1. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    When you're catfishin with minnows, is it better to kill the minnow first and use it, or keep it alive? I've heard it's better to kill it but I just need to know for sure. Also, should you cut the tail off?

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Have had more good fortune with live then dead for channels. Why I could'nt tell ya. LOL!

3. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    I know a lot of people use em live. But if they die in the bucket they're still good bait.

4. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I prefer live. If they die, no biggie. I usually will cut the head off a dead one and maybe slice it down one side to get the juices flowin'

5. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i like live for the action but if you wanna get crazy i would put 2 on one hook one alive and a dead one cut in half so you're kinda dispensing some blood scent into the water.......but any way will work

6. catsrking

catsrking New Member

State:
    Iowa
    My first choice is live. I'd use dead minnows if I had no more live ones. As far as the tail, I have never heard of cutting it off for any reason.

7. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I use em live. When they die I just put the ol size 13 on em and squish em up nicely. Then, you still have great bait.

8. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I do both Ill use one threaded on a hook and smashed & fish 1 alive. Let the fish decide what they want. It's very important to give several options when fishing. Also remember if your catching fish on dead or cut bait & not live for awhile & they quit biting switch back to live, I've even seen them change in a few hours from size of cutbait, they may eat small chunks for 2 hours then want fillets, gut pockets or heads. There really can be that much of a difference. They may want one minnow on a hook or 2. Just keep your options wide open & keep trying to mix it up when things get slow. Some nights I go thru alot of bait and never catch many fish, but Im always trying!! Thats is the fun of it for me! As far as cutting the tail off Ive never done that with minnows however Ive done it with bluegills & shad makes them look wounded and gives off mor vibration, dont cut it off up in the meat just trim some of the tail off...Abu65
    P.S. remeber Morris the CAT he was extremely finicky :)