Dead or alive

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by Spock, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Spock

Spock New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Ok, so there's some research that suggest that catfish can tell if bait is alive by brushing against it and picking up electrical current. From listening to people who have used underwater cams, it sounds to me like this may be true.

Ok, so as for blue catfishing specifically,

What is your experience of live bait vs dead? Please, NOT theoretical, but your actual experience. Some people can say, "Well, blues like to eat it this way..." but they don't say that have any experience fishing that way, just that they've always heard it that way. I was wondering what all you've found to be true.

(Actually, I think I first read about this in Catfishing Strategies by the North American Fishing Club. I wanted to include my source b/c I think info is usually useless w/o the sources)

2. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    In my experiance with Blues.. I think they prefer cut bait. Such as shad, skipjack, small carp and blue gills... I have seen guys even catch them with chicken breast soaked in garlic..

The Blue in my avatar was caught on a small 2in cube of cut skipjack..

I beleive most will tell you cutbait.. and the prefered bait would be Skipjack

Hope this helps..

3. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Not directly answering your question....but you'll find not alot of guys use live bait because one of the main baitfish in most locations are shad, and they are very hard to keep alive. So that's the main reason you hear about cut bait being used. Flatheads love crappie and bream, and those things can keep alive in buckets for days.

4. littlebigman

littlebigman New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    i find that they like eating cut bait.

5. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    In the winter time I use cut shad 100 % of the time

spring when water temps hit around 50 in slack water or slow easy current I will start using live bait again along with cut bait , I usually have out 5 to 8 rods with 50/50 cut shad and live shad

spring with strong current I use cut shad

summer in easy slow current and slack water i spider rig with 100 % live bait with great success

summer drifting a lake its cut shad

when drifting a lake again cut shad / tried live bait with little success on the drifting rig on the bottom / but have had success drifting with live bait suspended using a bobber , if the shad are running 10 foot deep in 25 feet of water set your bobber at 10 feet with live shad .

fall is big fish time here at Truman Lake / Lake of the ozarks .
    drift fishing its cut bait .

In fall all the other ways i will fish its 50/50 again with cut and live bait until the fish let me know wich 1 they prefer .

When winter comes back and water temps go below 45 its back to cut bait .

6. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Great Information Scott,Reps to You Brother,J.D.

7. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    thanks John

your picture is funny as all get out lmao :smile2::smile2:

8. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I only use cut bait. I believe the best is a piece of skipjack with the blood squirting out. I only bank fish, so using live bait is pretty much out of the question because by the time I cast a 5 or 6oz sinker and bait as far as I can, I am pretty sure the bait is dead at impact. Good luck.

9. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    I use cut shad and gills 99% of the time for blues. They seem to work the best for the big blues. I like to use the heads with the gut pocket the best.

10. scwhite

scwhite New Member

State:
    Shreveport , La.
    I use Live Bait all the time . For four reasons , One , Both Blues and Flathead love live bait , Two , Live bait is cleaner , Three , You stand a good chance of getting a nice Flathead . Four , You won't catch any Carp , or Gasper Goo .and when you are throw fishing you can eather eat your bait or release them .

11. scwhite

scwhite New Member

State:
    Shreveport , La.
    I might start useing some cut shad this year . We will see.