Dead on stringer

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by cfishman, Jun 27, 2009.

1. cfishman

cfishman New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Went fishing at my usual NRD pond here in Nebraska Thursday night. I can't keep the cats alive on the stringer. I go through the bottom lip and the stringer will put them down to about 8' of water. I am catching them in about 2-3' of water. Don't know what the actual water surface temp is, but is warm. In a matter of about 20 minutes these fish are dead. I wold think that 8' would be cool enough, if they are feeding/working the shallows. These fish are ranging 3 to 12 pds channels.

2. Trevor1

Trevor1 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    May not be enough oxygen for them at that depth. Might want to try 4ft.

3. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    If you're going to take them home, bring a cooler with a bag of ice and keep them there. They'll be fresh when you get home.

4. ronniethomas

ronniethomas New Member

State:
    iowa
    how quick are you getting the hook out and the fish back in the water? The longer the fish is out of the water the more stress your putting on it, so the quicker you can get the hook out and the fish back in the water the better chance you'll have of keeping them alive; also when you put them back into the water dont just toss them in take them by the mouth and gradually swish them back in forth in the water to return lost oxygen to their gills.

hope this helps

5. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    struggling fish build up lactic acid (lactosis) warmer water has lower dissolved oxygen levels. So they have a lactic acid build up from the struggle being caught then the struggle coninues on the stringer. Blues and channel are very vulnerable to this especially in warm/low oxygen water in a pond or lake... they may die after just being caught from lactosis even if you turn them lose.... you may as well pack them on ice as soon as you unhook them when the water is say 75 and up in a lake or pond.

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Your pond probably has a shallow thermocline. In four feet of water, there is oxygen in the water, at greater depths the oxygen is depleted. When you put a fish below the thermocline, you are in effect suffocating the fish. Keep them in the waters depth your catching them and they should live.

7. twisted

twisted New Member

how long were they dead for and did you eat them any way ?

8. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I use a basket....aka redneck live well very seldom do I loose fish maybe invest in a good basket????

9. cfishman

cfishman New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    thanks for the suggestions guys. Last night kept them on stringer no deeper than 3', they did fine.

10. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Personally I like using a gunny sack.Wal mart has a material that looks like an old gunny feed sack.cheap.Make your own any size you want.Works great.