Dead monster catfish below Truman Dam

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Cut bait, May 21, 2007.

1. Cut bait

Cut bait New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    Fishing down around the 79mile marker below Truman dam when I seen what I believe was the biggest live or dead cat ive ever seen The down side, it was dead it had to be over 100lbs!!
    Did anyone else see it floating their was several boats looking at it.

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    That is one big fish, thanks for sharing.

3. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    Anyone have any pictures?

4. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    would of liked to seen that WOW

5. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    All monsters die eventually....

Someone should have scooped it up and called the MDC - I'll bet they'd like to have the carcass to study, especially for determining the age of the old beast...

6. Cut bait

Cut bait New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    Trust me we tried to get it but it was just starting to stink but it was all their no decay at that time, surely someone got a photo of it!!!
    We didn’t have a camera GUYS it was comparable to the cats at the KC CABALAS.

7. Cut bait

Cut bait New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    This is some info I picked up in a game and fish web site.
    Can this be true?????????????

WHEELER LAKE'S BLUE CATFISH​
    Wheeler Lake, a section of the Tennessee River below Lake Guntersville, is not only where McKinley caught his record blue catfish in 1996, but it's also where Sammy Springer of Rogersville landed a 132-pound blue with a gill net that same year.

"Who knows - there could be more enormous catfish living in that lake," said Springer. "The catfish I caught is the biggest I've ever seen."

Springer, a commercial fisherman, donated the fish to the Tennessee Aquarium because of its monumental size, which measured more than 5 feet.

Unfortunately, the fish died. The aquarium then sent the otoliths (a calcareous concretion in the internal ear) to Irwin for aging. Using an accurate technique that she developed, Irwin found the fish only lived 16 years. Clearly, Wheeler is capable of supporting phenomenal growth rates in blue catfish.

8. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    sounds possible to me. ive seen guys bring home the bacon from that place.

9. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    where is lake wheeler? And i hope some took a pic of that monster

10. Cut bait

Cut bait New Member

State:
    MISSOURI

Its not the size of that fish that gets me its the young age of 16:eek:oooh::eek:oooh:

11. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    They don't grow anywhere near that fast in Missouri waters. A 30 lb fish in Missouri might be 20 to 25 years old. There's plenty of information about catfish growth rates online for those interested in searching for it...