Dead Flatheads on the James River

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Paraguayguy, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Yesterday I took my son and one of his buddys water skiing. We put in at Watkins Landing in Powatan County just west of Richmond. Right at the ramp someone had dumped five beautiful Flatheads from 8-15 pounds. Why would someone kill those fish and then not even eat them. I am disappointed.:sad2:

2. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    What a scumb bucket , wonder what they were thinking?:sad2::angry:

3. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    You should get the DNR involved if you haven't already. That way at least they can keep an eye out and they will have the report on record.

4. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Probably one of the many "anglers" (and I use that term very loosely) out there who consider catfish as trash fish.

5. MDBuckeye

MDBuckeye New Member

State:
    From Ohio in Maryland now
    Wow, I wouldn't think even those that target other fish in the James and accidentally caught them would just kill them purposfully.

Sucks

6. Powhatan

Powhatan New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Yep...that sucks... probably some small mouth fisherman.. They complain to me all of the time that the flatties are eating all of the small mouth.

7. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Sad fact is that our catfish are not considered to be a natural resource thats worth protecting. Someone posted a while back on here about some big flatties found along a river bank with their bellies slit open:angry:.

8. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    It makes no sense at all. Some of the mountain boys I grew up with in Bedford pretty much eat every big cat they catch. Not my cup of tea but hey,,, its legal and if that's what they want then more power to them. Its the wasting of the fish that kills me.

Side note,, As I was getting out I talked to two young men that had paddled way the heck upstream past the first rock ledge almost to the big Island below the Prison. They caught a nice mess of smallies and big river brim. They told me they saw a flathead so big,, it was scary.

Goose season comes in in a week or so. Time to grab the benelli and a small fishing rod if I can find my shad pole and start the cast and blast regimen of September. Life is good in the old dominion.

9. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    ....by the way goose is some damn good eating.
    About the fish, hard to say really why they were left there. Somebody probably caught them thinking they could give them away at the landing...kinda bragging. "hey look at all these fish I caught" want them...
    I see people at the boat landings bringing fish in all the time trying to give them away.
    Giving the person the benefit of the doubt maybe they didn't have a cooler or anything to take them home in and their ride said "you're not putting those in my car"....

Bottom Line....totally sucks. I see stupid people and smart people doing very stupid things just about every time I go fishing. As I struggle to catch a respectable size fish, NOW there are even less to catch. I'd love to go catch some flatheads in the upper James.

I still need to check out Watkins Landing....
    sorry to hear about the fish

10. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    that does suck. last year i was fishing at claytor from the bank and 2 guys bass fishing were coming to boat landing asking people fishing if they wanted a cat they had caught, they held it up and it was about a 20# flatty. i asked if it was still alive, i was gonna let it go, but it had been laying in there boat a couple hours on the floor.
    chip

11. Johny Buck

Johny Buck New Member

State:
    virginia
    Powhatan hit the nail on the head! I have seen many smallmouth guys bashing the flathead, and if they catch them they kill them.

12. Halifax

Halifax New Member

State:
    Chester ,Va
    Hate to hear about the dead flatheads. Was wondering if any of you guys fish for them in that strecth and what the odds are on hooking up on some 30lb plus fish? Done some fishing for the big blues down the river but miss the pull of the flatheads. Newer to the area and trying to learn a little.

13. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Welcome to the board. Lots of nice folk helping each other be better fisherman here.

14. F250SD-Baby!!

F250SD-Baby!! New Member

State:
    Virginia
    probably some bass fisher that caught them and got peeved. at worst, they could have found someone to give them to...jerks.

15. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    it happens more than you think.....Earlier this year I found a 18-lb flathead tied to a stringer, which was tied to a tree...I fished the spot for six hours and no one showed up to get him...I realesd him back into the river.

16. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    if ya aint eating them release them. i even release gar. unharmed.

17. Johny Buck

Johny Buck New Member

State:
    virginia
    Halifax, The 30 lb flathead is rare in that part of the river. As in I might have seen one or two in many years fishing there. Better chance with the 3 to 12 pounders with some approaching 20lbs. Give it a shot, you never know, i'm sure a 50 lber is in that stretch some where. Good Luck.

18. 66TBONE

66TBONE New Member

State:
    Virginia
    PEOPLE ARE PITIFUL!!! I have always been a firm believer that you do not kill any fish you are not gonna eat! unless its being used as bait! So to the fish killers out there, may your tackle box stay full of water and may your rods and reels fall off the boat!!!!!!!!!! :smile2: idiots!

19. Halifax

Halifax New Member

State:
    Chester ,Va
    Thanks kenneth and jonny buck for your replies. I'm gonna try it a couple times and see how it goes. Was curious of what to expect. I checked out the watkins ramp the other day, the clear water will be an adjustment.

20. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I dont understand how someone could do that it just dont make no kind of sense:angry: