Dead fish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by topjimmy, Aug 10, 2007.

1. topjimmy

topjimmy New Member

State:
    AZ
    I have been seeing lots of pics of nice fish on the site lately. Big fish. Big cats. Unfortunatley, a lot of them are pics of nice, big, DEAD cats.

Keep the eaters, and let the big guys go.

CPR, brothers!!!

2. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Yeah I have seen the same thing. However if one wants to keep a 50# fish that's his/her right and I or NO one else has the right to tell them they are wrong for doing so. That's up to the one that landed the fish weather they CPR or not.

You must keep in mind that there are those who think ppl should keep 1 large fish and let the smll ones grow up. Either way it's up to the one that landed it.

3. kingdawes

kingdawes New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I agree totally with that tony. If you want to the choice is and should be yours. I personnally believe in only keeping the eaters. The big daddies are for fun

4. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    I myself like smaller fish for eatting and release the larger ones. Unless the fish is hurt and I know it's gonna die 8# and up go free. However I can't make that choice for others.

5. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I agree with James but who am I to tell someone what to do. If I am in the mood for a fry, I will keep the ones under 7 -8 lbs. I can usually catch enough of them to do what I am wanting.

6. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    not trying to bust any bubbles or start a fuss but i have caught 12 fish over 50 lbs.this year.no matter what i did 3 of these fish died.i did everthing i could think of and they still died.of the 9 that took off like a shot 2 of them floated up in 3 to 5 days.just because you turn these fish loose does not guarantee they will live.big fish are more fragile than smaller fish imo.i wil still release my big fish and hope they live to be caught by someone else but i also will know that not all will survive.

7. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    oh no, here we go again........:eek:oooh:

8. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    i was just wondering, did you release these fish immediatley or after a lenghty stay in a live well or on a stringer?

9. kingkatt 2

kingkatt 2 New Member

State:
    illnois
    personally i don't keep anything over 10lb. everything else we release asap!

10. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Yeah, it is a shame to see some of those big fish laying in the bed of a truck or hanging from a tree. I do believe that more and more people are turning to catch and release. A lot of guys down here just keep them all and some don't even like catfish, I guess it's just an ego thing..."Look at what I caught!" I personally don't keep any fish, but I do work at a fish house so I have all the dead fish I can handle. I do think that catfishermen as a whole are moving in the right direction. Some fish do need to be kept and some large ones as well, I just hope that too many of the biggun's are being kept. I guess only time will tell. Probably the worst pic I've seen on the site was of the 88 and 60lb blues caught in the same day. Who really needs that much fish? That could feed an entire family a month. Oh well, it's a free country and I guess we should just try and push for some more strict limits for catfish across the US.

11. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I agree with this. Just because I practice CPR doesn't mean that everybody else has to. I wish more people would do it but i'm not gonna hold it against somebody for doing it their way. Just my .02 :confused2::big_smile:

12. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I caught a 48# flat in april, and kept it. I hadn't caught one that big before, and wanted to eat it. It probably yealded about 25-30# of neatly trimmed meat. I STILL have a freezer full of fish, and when I go fishing, I have been giving the keepers away bacause I just don't need any more fish. Next time I catch one like that, I will reliease it, and hope it survives. I don't have a problem with someone keeping their catch as long as they eat it, and don't waste it. I think catch and release is becoming more popular among catfishers, and that is a good thing. Sometimes you also have to consider the fishery. If it's crowded with fish, they need to be harvested. I don't think that people need to be made to feel bad about keeping their catch. Lead by example, and don't chastize folks for keeping what is rightfully their's. Catfish are among the most abundant species of fish. They are not going to go extinct, and not everybody wants the regs to be geared towards trophy fisheries.

13. LadyValea1

LadyValea1 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    The other day at the boating dock...A couple of guys caught a big ole blue cat 40lbs? tied the tail end to a rope and hitch the poor thing to the back of their truck bumper and drove off to get on the main road! draggin it away!
    I could not believe my eyes..
    Thats just wrong.....

14. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    as far as the 80 & 60 lb'ers go he never said what he did w/it, maybe he has a big family or maybe he donated to the needy, but n e way to each his own if he wanted to fill his freezer then so be it he caught it-----to each his own!!!!

15. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Dittos, Matt.

FYI you all. The hot dry spring/summer we've had this year can cause extreme oxygen depleted conditions in some areas within a body of water (rivers included). Fish taken in these conditions are not near as hardy as they would be if we were having normal rainfall, and subsequently will die much sooner than normal.

16. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    For the people that fish for sport and fun, catch and release is good?
    Myself, I fish for fun and food and I wouldn't have a problem keeping a big fish if I ever caught one?

I don't agree with these people that catch them and show them off a few days, then throw them out.
    If you're going to eat them, fine, keep them, if not, take a few pic's and let them go?

I'm the only one in my house that eats fish, but I could eat it every day and I don't let any of it go to waist.

Ken

17. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky

18. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    have you ever thought about doing comedy ?

19. Krauseb

Krauseb New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Here is the way I do it. I release everything except my personal best. So basically 99% of the time I leave the river with nothing, at the most just one big one.

20. kingneck76

kingneck76 New Member

State:
    Jeff City MO
    I dont keep the big ones unless there is little chance of them living. They produce more eggs, and pass on better genes. IMO. Just look at people. If (not if when) 2 idiots get together their kid is usually an idiot too. Heck first time I went noodeling they wanted to keep the 27# flat. Well I "slipped":wink:, and he fell into the water.