Dead Chickens for bait????LOL

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by tbull, Oct 26, 2009.

1. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    ProstreetS10 (Josh) can back me up on this, because we were at his house when this guy told us this. He swore up and down that he would use whole dead chickens on the Ohio River for catfish bait, said he would let them sit for hours and hours if he had to and catch MONSTER catfish...You guys buy this? I guess it would make sense to me for all fish in the river to take a bite out of any dead carcus, but wouldnt you need like a 50ot hook to catch the fish...:eek:oooh::eek:oooh::eek:oooh:???

2. fishmonster13

fishmonster13 New Member

State:
    cincinnati,ohio
    sounds a bit fishy to me:smile2: i don't think you would need a 50/0 hook. we use a 14/0 for 100lb+ tarpon. i just wonder how you would keep the liitle fish,gar etc from just nibbling away at it

3. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    What about casting it? Or the wait.What the hell would you do, drift to a spot you want it in drop it, let it hit bottom, then drift off while feeding it line till you got a way's from it ,Then reel in slack :confused2:

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  4. fishmonster13

fishmonster13 New Member

State:
    cincinnati,ohio
    casting a whole chicken :smile2::smile2:man thats funny ,the image in my head of somebody trying to cast a whole chicken ,i'd probably end up flinging it one direction while hook,line and sinker go the other:big_smile: can you imagine the rod you would need.how about a big ol' turkey:smile2::smile2:think of the monster you could bring in with that

5. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I'd rather use a cat. LOL!:crazy:

6. fishmonster13

fishmonster13 New Member

State:
    cincinnati,ohio
    wouldn't that be almost cannibalistic:smile2:

7. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    It may sound fishy, and it's something I would never be interested in, but I know for a fact of such a case. It was my father.:smile2:

I never seen him actually catch anything while we were fishing, but he told of times past when he hooked big ones. It was from a boat. He would use a whole chicken, wrapped by heavy string, thrown off of the boat like a lasso, and tied off to a cleat.

I just laugh at him today about it. He's a good sport and laughs with me, all the while sticking to his story and not backing down a bit.

8. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Travis, I will bring a lobster, you bring a chicken... and if neither work, we can flip a quarter for who has to noodle first! :wink::big_smile: rollo

9. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    Instead of casting the chicken take it out there alive hook it and let it fly far as you need then shoot it and theres you cast:smile2:

10. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    if yall don't catch nothing yall got dinner anyway.:big_smile:

11. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I would love to watch someone cast both, both would be absolutley histarical to watch!!!:smile2::smile2::smile2:.....Rollo, there isnt enough liquor in Ohio for me to reach my hand down into a hole under water...:eek:oooh:

12. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    I've read about people using road kill. Chicken would work the same, in the manner they were using it.

They were hanging it from a tree limb, just over the water. It was left there for several days and when the maggots would take over, they would fall in the water..... Thus creating a so called irresistible catfish chum.

I can usually manage to catch fair amounts of catfish and don't ever see a need to resort to such measures, but it does give you something to think about.

13. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    speaking of this.... a few years back vern parrish and his brother (or cousin) showed up to our tourney with a buck of dead chickens....like the parts of the chickens. and they actually gave my partner max and i some and we fished with them and actually got a lot of bites on them. feathers and all! :smile2:

14. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    After considering just HOW to cast a chicken.......the only thing I can think of is put the pole in the holder, release the line and just THROW the CHICKEN.
    Back to the lobster idea...... I think I'd suspend him just a bit off the bottom. No use gettin him all dirty.......:smile2:

15. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    I would imagine that would be a feat. Especially trying to get whatever bites in. Good luck to those who try , but you'd probably have to use muskie or deep sea tackle to do it successfully.

16. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I've tried KFC leftovers while camping but never a whole chicken....maybe thats what I'm doing wrong...:big_smile:

does a dead chicken float???

17. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    :0a24::smile2:

18. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i know of guys that use live baby chicks for bait, they dont stay that way long, but they do fish with them. however they aren't whole chickens. personally ill stick to gills and other baits, they may swear by them, but im not using them.

19. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Them southern guys would be having to fight gators . I have heard of using fresh killed chickens with its throat cut for wels catfish .

20. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    Sharks, maybe! Gatars, maybe! CATFISH, NO WAY!!!