Dead cats below Eufala dam?

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA RIVERS TALK' started by Brian D, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Brian D

Brian D New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Sunday morning my girlfreind and I went to Eufala dam to give the sandies and crappie a go.They didnt run any water while we were there,but we still managed enough for a dinner and she caught a buffalo that went around #20,she was pretty excited!! We noticed alot of dead blue cats,some in the 10-15 lb class.They were washed up on the bank,others just floating.I even saw a couple float belly up till they got by the rocks then turn themselves over and swim off.Whats up with this? Did they ever figure out the thing with blue cats having purple eggs last year? This is an awesome fishery and I hope all is well here.

2. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Were the blues being killed by being swept over the spillway? The water is definitely rough enough to kill humans.

I saw a report on TV concerning the purple eggs in bluecat on Eufaula. There is nothing absolute yet, but there is evidence that the lake is being polluted due to an old zinc mine and smelter releasing the pollutant into the groundwater in the Okmulgee area.

There is no warning in effect concerning the edibility of the catfish, but I will not eat the off-colored eggs. The flesh of the Lake Eufaula Bluecats has been tested for dangerous levels of heavy metals, and it passed. All levels were within safe levels according to the USDA guidelines.

Enjoy that plateful of fillets! I do... several times a week! :smile2:

3. swampratt

swampratt Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I heard that the heavy metals settle in the bones of the fish ...
    So they say skin and cook with out bones for safety...

I say good that is the way i like mine filleted:wink:

4. Redneck1

Redneck1 Guest

I don't know about anyone else but last year at eufaula I had dead blue cats on my jug lines a lot, this was when the lake was up and the creek was running, I'm not sure why they were dead and this was during the spring and summer. The channel cats were lively though.

5. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    The hooks were most likely too deep, placing the bait below the thermocline into the less oxygenated water. Try to set your lowest hook above the thermocline where you fish.

6. WhiskerWayne

WhiskerWayne New Member

State:
    Yukon Oklahoma
    Might be a dumb questions, but how do you know where the Thermocline is?

7. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like some good advice. I am not sure where the thermocline is but it is tragic about he dead blues

8. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Was there a noticeable rotten egg odor in the air when you saw all the dead and dying fish? I have smelled this odor before below the dam. The reason was that the water coming thru the dam was anaerobic or septic. This means that the water had no oxygen and the fish were suffocating.

catman george

9. Brian D

Brian D New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    there was no odor,have been back several times since without seeing dead cats.we can hope this was a one time thing.thanks for yalls replies,and happy 4th of july to my catfishin bretheren!!!

10. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    i think bass pro sells a meter that tells you the oxy. level in the water. bass fishermen use them , sounds like we may too can profit from the meter also.

11. redneck cowboy

redneck cowboy New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The last couple of years about this time on Eufaula I have seen quite a few dead cats floating , usually I see about 8 to 10 each time I go. I have asked several people around the lake but no one has an explanation. I was there a month and a half ago and saw quite a few floaters then. I have picked up some of these cats to see if they appear to have died from being hooked but don't see any evidence to support this theory.

12. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    If you have a sonar on your boat, turn the gain all the way up. The thermocline will appear as a solid line suspended in the water. This is due to the water being denser and colder below the thermocline.

Have you ever felt the cold layer of water when you were swimming in the summer? That was the thermocline. The water above the thermocline has higher dissolved oxygen. The fish will lurk at the thermocline because it's cooler... but if they take a bait on a trotline that holds them below the thermocline, they'll die rapidly from lack of oxygen.

If you're a trotliner, please learn the depth of the thermocline in the waters you fish... and set the hooks above it.

In South Texas in August, I've seen the thermocline as shallow as 8 feet.

13. WhiskerWayne

WhiskerWayne New Member

State:
    Yukon Oklahoma
    Ok, that makes sense. I have felt that cold layer in lakes.

I don't fish from a boat, or set trotlines, I was just interested.

Thanks

14. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    To albert thank you very much for the info. The knowledge of a pro is invaluable thank you