Dead catfish on the Illinios River

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by George walker, Jul 11, 2006.

1. George walker

George walker New Member

State:
    Illinois
    A friend of mine told me he had seen several dead catfish and carp in the Illinios river, does anyone know what happen.

2. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I heard of big big Asian Carp die off on up by Peoria and north, but I've only seen one dead catfish all year. I heard it was almsot exclusively Asian Carp that died off, and I say good riddance.

3. astutzman

astutzman New Member

State:
    Collinsville, IL
    It could have been a lot of things. Since there weren't a ton of them, you can rule out anything too terrible like a virus or chemical spill. My guess would be that they just got over exerted while mating.

I've seen instances on Lake decatur where all of a sudden all the dead fish you see are of the same species. I think that there's a lot of die off through competition during the mating season.

4. gebs

gebs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've seen a few dead cats on the Fox as well. They're all beat up and bit. A clear sign of death by mating. Not a bad way to die if you ask me. :big_smile:

5. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Yea!Quite a few old men die that way.It gets a whole lot more young men killed.peewee-williams

6. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Pee Wee you do have a way with words. Seems like I have been close both ways. lmao. Don't have any thing to add about the fish. I didn't realze that it could happen.

7. Bigdan99

Bigdan99 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    My wife just told me the other day that she's ready to have another baby. Guess I'm gonna have to due some more fishing. Never heard anything on the dead fish. I thought all the fish in the Mississippi were dead due I couldn't even get a bite then I switched over to chicken liver and caught a 1 or 2 pound channel this morning.

8. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    On the Illinois river, I would guess a contaimation spill or run off. I would like the state to get involved on fish kills.

9. dakid

dakid New Member

State:
    Palos Hills Illinois
    sometimes they throw chemicals in the water to kill off the over populating seeweed but it ends up killing the fish instead:crazy: