dead carp

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by fearless58, May 30, 2009.

1. fearless58

fearless58 New Member

State:
    ga
    a friend of mine went to the canal at santee and said ther were dead carp floating every where. any body know whats up with that

2. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I noticed the same thing on Mem Day weekend.Lots of bowfishing for carp goes on down there and lots of folks fish for them now.

3. scwolf

scwolf Member

State:
    South Carolina
    We noticed that Thursday night when we were fishing. The carp we saw were mostly smaller size with a few bigger ones. I had heard that the grass carp they put in years ago had reached the end of their life cycle, but was surprised at so many and the smaller size of them. Somewhere I read that they had stocked more carp to continue control of the grass, was wondering if maybe they had a problem or something.

4. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    Coming from Short Stay to Angel Landing yesterday I noticed several dead carp mostly smaller ones. I didn't count but is was good number. enough to make me wonder why they were dying. Seemed strange and lot of dead fish to me.

5. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Wasnt there a fungas that killed off a bunch of carp several yrs back? seems like it only effected the carp.

6. Threadkilla

Threadkilla New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I fish on Wateree and the carp were recently spawning. They splash and carry on in the shallow water like their is no tomorrow. They even seem to lose their natural wariness as they felt no fear of my being on top of them in my boat.

I think that alot of those fish wear themselves out during the spawn and they just die from exhaustion. But that's just me...

7. Cgoyette

Cgoyette New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Virus killed them last time, seems to only affect the carp.

We had a big kill off a few years ago and it was a mess...carcuses everywhere

8. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    SCDNR is investigating the die-off, but it is likely a viral or bacterial disease, affecting the smaller fish, of which there is an abundance right now.

9. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Thank Goodness I have grown to old to spawn!!!!I remember them wore out days!!!:wink::smile2:Or was it nights???Do we humans spawn on the full moon or dark of?:big_smile::crazy:I do see some of the results of my previous efforts though.Mem Day I looked up and there was one of them right there in the boat and he had one of his spawn with him.Not much for trophy size but feisty attitude!!!!!:smile2::big_smile:

10. Mark Williams

Mark Williams New Member

State:
    Union, South Carolina
    My brother and I was on the canal, staying at canal lakes late May, we asked some of the locals and we were told that the grass in the upper lake and canal area was so bad they had to spray or put something on it to try to kill some of the grass, and they believe this is what was killing the carp (eating the grass)