Daytime logjam flathead catfishing

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Chief, May 30, 2006.

1. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    was wondering if this technique works. drop anchor upstream from a nice logjam 3-8 ft of water. cast in front of it and let your bait drift into the logs. how do you rig for this? J or kahle with a small egg sinker and no leader? cut or live bluegill. also i've noticed before on logjams that most of the time your bait just gets blown to the side and around the logs rather than under. any ideas?

2. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    geez you just had to tease me with catfishing videos....it should be done downloading by morning...lol

3. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Thanks for the video. I wonder how close they actually get to those snags? I also wonder how many rigs they lose fishing this way?

4. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i wanna watch it!!!!!!!!!! lol

5. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Clayton, I regularly target log jams for channels as well as for flats. I use a three way rig and a five ounce sinker. All you have to do is anchor above it far enough that you can pitch back to the up current side of the jam. If you use freshcut bait or live gills with one side scaled the cats will come. I just place a bait at each end of the jam and one in the middle. You would be suprised to see how many cats will come from the shallow end towards the bank. I have caught a lot of good channels this way, but the biggest cats have been flatties. Vern

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Good video Tim and some good info to follow up on. I live close to a river similar to where he was fishing and has some good possibilities.

7. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I occasionally fish live baits like small bluegills and sunfish below a float in heavy wood cover. I've used the traditional slip-float rig with the bait below the weight, but more than a few floats and hooks that way. I haven't had a lot of luck trying this, but I've been just fooling around with this while fishing anchored baits.

I decided to borrow from some of our bass fishing friends and create a modified "drop shot rig" for catfishing. I call it a "ball and chain" rig.

Place a slip float above a hook which is tied to the main line leaving a 12" tag line which is not cut. A 1.5-2oz weight goes on below the hook, and a split shot keeps the weight from sliding off the bottom.

I attached a shot of the set-up....

The theory here is that the bait is kept better in check with resistance from the top and the bottom. In order to get tangled in branches or limbs, the bait would have to carry the sinker to get there. (Hence the name "ball and chain rig.")

The depth of the bait is adjustable using your float stop, and the distance of the bottom is adjustable by sliding the split shot up and down the "drop line." You can fish it stationary with the weight on the bottom; since the bait is above the sinker the float still will indicate what's happening with the bait. If the bait is just off the bottom, the bait can move around or drift with the current.

...another option would be to put a swivel above the weight with a very short leash for the bait (a couple inches.) This would get the bait away from the taught dropper and allow a little more room to roam. However, it probably would cause a few more hang-ups in wood cover that my original rig.

One thing this set-up is much harder to get hung up in a snag!

Shawn

Attached Files:

8. Spongiform

Spongiform New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I'm going to give this a try this weekend. My spot has a couple good pileups along it.

9. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    One thing about fishing daylight; it's a lot easier to see what you're doing. I like fishing at night too, but I can cast my baits a lot more fearlessly right at the wood cover when i'm fishing snags during daytime.

If your cast is just a little long, it's easy to adjust when you can see... you just slow the flight with your thumb on the spool etc and often drop it right where you want it. At night, i'm more likely to be less bold and cast short or overshoot and get hung up.

Also, anchoring and navigation up and down river is lot easier (this was mentioned in the video), especially at top speed. I always use live baits, and I think daytime you need to fish tighter to cover/structure.

Shawn

10. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    I've seen it postulated here somewhere that using circle hooks in heavy cover will lessen the chance of hang-ups. Maybe worth a try.

I've always been slightly intimidated by such cover but the way my luck's going with only small fish, I'll give heavy stuff a try this Friday.

11. flemflamman

flemflamman New Member

State:
    va
    Thanks for the great fishing fix...!

12. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Shawn, you took the words right out of my mouth. You know you just messed up at night when you hear the sound of your sinker bouncing off logs lol. Also there is this one jam that I regularly fish that has a stump about 20 feet up river from it. I was pulling into it one night and bang ran right into it. Lucky for me I was idling so no damage was done, but it could have been bad. Vern

13. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    whenever i take the boat i always fish logjams and fallin trees for channel cats. this year instead of throwing out chickin liver i'm gonna use cut bluegills. that will increase my chance of getting a flathead, but also still be very appealing to a channel cat

14. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I remember reading an article a few years ago. I think it was is "In Fisherman". they called it crash and thrash or something like that. He would take his boat and crash into a log jam or fallen tree on the river and pull out big cats. Looked a little scary to me, last time I got on a log it took me forever to get off of it. Almost trashed my prop.

15. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    that's good info for a daytime river fisherman. I know a lot of people are like me. I don't really like to run the river at night if I can help it. It's hazardous during the day, but at night, your almost always gonna bump into something. And you have to go so slow to be careful, and end up burning twice as much gas. In addition, if something happens, there's nobody around too much at night to help. My phone don't work on the river either, so daytime seems a better option for me. Too bad the flatheads like to party all night and sleep in during the day. :smile2:

16. kurt

kurt New Member

State:
    ohio
    I fish this way all the time for channel cats. I usually use frozen shad. 2 of them about 3-4 inches long, and slit there stomache with the hook, then hook each thru the gills then in the tail. Depending on current that day depends on the weight that i will use, some times i use a float but it really dosnt help in fast current for me. Try to play the current also. I like to fish down stream and let the current take the bait to the log jam. You just have to guess were to cast and how much the current will take the bait.

Hope this helps

17. chuck luck

chuck luck Member

State:
    indiana
    I tried this a few years ago, and lost a bunch of rigs until I switched to a non-offset circle. Didn't catch any fish, but didn't loose anymore rigs. Good luck, Chuck.