Daytime hot weather bite

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Mac-b, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    If you are planning a catfish trip in the next day or two or during the month of August, don't be so anxious to hit the waters at first light. You can still get a bite early, but each year when the water surface temp gets into the the middle and upper 80's it appears that the mid day bite is more productive from a numbers standpoint. From 11 AM to 2 PM appears to be the major hours for eating size fish. In the past, I have caught my share of teenagers to thirty some pound cats, along with the eaters during this period. The best bite can be found in shallow waters (8 to 15') where there is an abundance of mussells. It could be that the hot water makes the mussells open thier shells a tad and thus, they put off more scent, I don't really know for sure.

WylieCat caught 26 cats on the 29 of July (yesterday) and his most productive bite was in the time period I described above. Saturday and Sunday, my late sleeping Friday fishing partner (Cliff) went out around 10 AM or so and had similar results to those of WylieCat. Also, the white perch bite is not so bad during this time period.

But, be aware that this time period is bad on your skin and thus stay under the cover in your boat, wear a wide brim hat and a long sleeve thin shirt, plus put your sun screen on as extra protection.

Be careful all thar, you hear. Mac

2. deepwoods

deepwoods Member

State:
    north carolina
    Mac, a couple of questions.

What areas in LKN hold mussels? Is it a water depth or topography?

Also would the shoals areas (ie 15 mile marker area) hold fish in hot weather?

3. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    All areas that have flats will hold mussels, preferably in the 5 to 10 foot depth areas. Up your way there are several good areas, one being the left side of Rocky Creek, where it widens and at the rear of Rocky. Also, if you will go into Stumpy Creek and connect with Cornelius Creek and go under the Perth Bridge, there are some great flats on the North and Sound shorelines and then some more, up close to the Cornelius Bridge. Several of the side creeks up around Marker 20 and 21 have some nice flats.

The shoals at Marker 15 are excellent in the winter time, not summer.

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Here is what LakeNormanBlues is not telling you.

WAIT UNTIL HE LEAVES THE WATER!! The fish know!! Once his boat is securely tied off at his house you will catch fish!!! :smile2:

Seriously, I did really well yesterday from 11:00am until 2:00pm. Sure, I was on the water at 5:00am, but I only had three fish at 10:00am. The rest came in a three hour period. Baits did not seem too important as all were hit equally, but mushy pieces of perch and striper seemed to work really well, and I guess that is because the white meat looks likes a mussel.

LakeNormanBlues
    is right about the mussel beds. I kept seven fish to grill yesterday and they were in my livewell. When I got home there were three handfulls of mussel shells in the tank and the stomachs of the cats were loaded with mussels.

5. baitnwait

baitnwait New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Maybe I'm not fishing the right places at night but I have caught more fish at midday than midnight myself. For an example I anchored up in one spot for about 5 hours in Rocky Creek last November catching 3 blues, 9 flatheads, some stripers and perch. Most of those flatheads where caught between 11:00 and 1:00 on a nearly windless bluebird day on cutbait. Thats a fish usually considered primarily nocturnal and prefering live bait. Go figure......:eek:oooh:

6. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    The flathead bite is always better in Nov. during the day becasue the water is cooler and the bite when the water is the warmest of the day that time of year. I have seen the same thing. Up until late Oct., it's still night time bite. By late Dec. they are dormant.

7. baitnwait

baitnwait New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks Chris, you are right. Mac was refering to the hot weather miday bite. I mentioned that particular trip because I normaly catch blues and only an occassional flathead during those hours. I thought it unusual to catch that many flatheads during those hours.....at least for me.:confused2: