Daytime flats

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Hoopie, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I plan on flatheading the daytime more this year, any suggestions? I fish the scioto in Ohio it is small river but it does hold fish just havn't done well in the daytime. One flat in 5 years during the day lots of channels and a few blues.There is a local guy that does well in the day but he will not come of off any info. I do know when he goes out its all day long and he covers a lot of water, maybe 20 miles or so. I am also able to cover this much water in a day.The reason for trying the daylight thing is my son wants to catch a nice one this year and I dont like moving up and down the river in the dark with him in the boat.It can be scary at times:wink: thanks for the help.

2. Polish Moose

Polish Moose New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Try fishing as close to structure as possible. There are no absolutes when it comes to fishing, so flatheads are not completely nocturnal. You can catch them during the day, in general though they may not be as mobile. If you throw a bait in their home though they may be willing to hit it if not out of hunger or opportunity, out of being territorial.

3. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Moose is right on track. Flats are territorial and will attack what invades their area. I caught a few on the Ohio River during the daytime, usually either dusk or dawn. Never tried much before 4pm or after 9am.

4. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    It kind of depends on the season. Pre-spawn they will be close to cut out banks, trees, and even slabs of huge rock. The pre-spawn fish will be locating structure to reproduce in. Don't worry so much about the depth, just try to find where you believe a flat will make a bed.

Post spawn during the day time, find deeper water. The deepest part of the deepest hole of a stretch of river is where the flats will be laying most of the time during the day. Not always true, but I believe it is your best bet. Just my opinion.

5. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    I have 95% of my success during the daytime all the way thru till spawn.Adter that early morning and early evening.

I usually fish with whole live shad between 4-10 inches on a slip rig no leaders or anything I also tend to use 14 lb test as its less visible.

6. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I target daytime flats during early spring, and in the fall. However, during high water situations in the summer months can be good as well. I do believe they can be caught at any time when dropping baits in on their daytime haunts! However, I simply try to target them early spring as in march and april, then not again until late fall when they start holeing up for the winter. Once river temps break 70 degrees all my flatheading is targeted after dark. goodluck to you, let us know how it goes!!! rollo

7. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I plan to target them that way as well this year. I am going back to the basics.

Plan A: I will be using a 12' spinning rod with just enough weit to keep cut bair vertical and then I am going to probe structure almost like Flippin without the Flip.

Plan B: I am going to attempt to locate depressions in current where they may hide during the day, as well as float live or cut bait through the fast shallow water. I have noticed in my travels that when floods carry debris downstream there are usually trees that hang up in the shallow sections. In fact, at Ellis Dam we catch bait there too. It is my thought process that there are fish there. Actually there may be both bait and predator there because they are inactive. But.... if bait gets to close to the mouth, I believe instinct will take over. I may try deep water but I doubt it. We are going to probe the shallows day and night. If we go to a shoal to try to catch smallmouth and suckers etc... don't the predators know that better than us?

8. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have caught a few good ones in the early morning as well as late evening. my personal best was caught at 9 am. But most of them have come between the hours of 10 pm and 3 am. Maybe it is just because I fish mostly at night in the summer when temps cool down a bit.

9. Myk88

Myk88 New Member

State:
    SE Ohio
    I do most all of my flathead fishing in the daytime. My best luck is in deep holes between 7am and 11am, and again from about 7pm until dark.

10. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    looks like the brothers got you covered on location. we fish flatheads a lot during the day and thats where we find them too. seams like they tuck tight to cover unless the rivers rising from a rain or dam discharge. when you get a good enough rain to make the creeks create a good mud line out in the river, grab the kid and head to the creek mouths!!!!

11. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    What is everyone opinion are bait for the day time thing? Live or cut.

12. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    well Iv never caught a flatty yet,so I dont know myself.

but from all Iv read on this site,it seems that cut bait doesnt produce nearly as much as live bait.

man I want to catch one bad

13. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have caught them on both, i usually use livebaits when i can, the channel cats are so quick to the cutbaits the flatheads usually don't get to it as quick. I do use smaller baits in the spring and fall time. such as creek chubs, suckers, shiners, or even baby bass work good! rollo

14. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I think live or cut is more a function of what you are doing. If fishing deep water trying to entice them from their lair, then live bait with scent, vibration, and sound may be the ticket. If you are poking around and in snags, cut bait would be the "only" solution. The one thing about good live bait, you can't keep it in a 12" box and as soon as you drop him under a limb he's gonna snag you up.

15. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    I was wondering if you guys that fish for flats can answer this..I fish the Missouri River and in my 10 mile streatch of river I have caught several flats fishing brush piles and log jams but nothing big. My question is some of these log jams are off the main channel and you have to go through 1 or 2 foot water to get to them. The water level at the log jams can be 7 to 9 foot. Will these large flatheads feed in these areas and stay or go back out near the main channel? The biggest I have caught in these jams have been a 6 pound flat head. Some days I will go for jam to jam trying to find a large flat. The fact the water levels go down to 1 or 2 feet before the jam will that keep the bigger ones out?

16. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    No, to borrow a line from one of our Ohio brothers S Man " flatheads may be big, but they ain't very tall! " lol Some folks have seen them chase predators from their nest in a foot or less. They can easily stay there too after high water conditions. I would keep hitting those spots. You will probably have better luck closer to dark though.

17. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    This is an interesting topic to me because if flatheads were the only catfish I caught I would be a happy camper I love fishing for them. I have only had good luck during the day one time now I have caught them during the day but very rarely but while bass fishing in Arizona with some huge shiners. I hooked into something and it snapped my line. Threw right back to the same spot time after time after time again I was pulling in flats on small tackle they were either in spawn or right before I bet I pulled 10 or 11 big suckers out of that area in the daytime. They had to have been laying on top of each other because if I casted a little to short or a little to far nothing but in this little hole I was slaying them until I ran out of bait it was awesome and the only time Ive had real good luck during the day. It was in shallow water also I mean real shallow not over 6 feet. In Arizona almost all spots I fished were shallow and here in Indiana I fish a lot deeper most of the year.

18. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Dave I used to fish a small river more like a creek in Arizona and pulled some nice flats around 20-35 pound range out of 5 feet of water. I seen a dead 65 pounder in there also they will go into shallow water for sure the love log jams in fact I would sat submerged timber is their favorite. Flats like moderate current so you will find them in spots where blues wont be sometimes. I would have never have thought of flats being in that shallow of a water channel until hearing of somebody pulling out 40# flats in there so I went and tested it out and they werent joking.

19. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    We've been catching a decent amount of flatheads during the day lately. We've been getting them in the deeper holes of the river usually close to a cut bank. They've been coming on cut bait. We haven't tried live yet, but I think we will soon.

20. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana

like jack said bro, you have a hunting area there, night time mite be the key to your jamb! or high water: wink