Daytime Flatheads

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by Backlashed, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    Over the weekend I pulled an all nighter,...well,.. tried to pull an all nighter at ElDorado, and only had one 12# Flat, and a sore back to show for it. I'm gettn toooo old for that all night shi....um... stuff.
    So where do you target them and how do you fish them during the day? I know its probable cutting my odds WAY back, but my sleep habits are pretty much set in stone. Any advice?

2. Carp Killer

Carp Killer New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thats going to be tough! We seem to have our best luck during the day floting down the river hitting brushpiles and deeper holes.Don't spend to much time at each one.If the fish are in there and hungry they will bit within 30 min.If nothing just go to next pile or hole.It also keeps you from getting bored by moving pretty offten.Good luck.

3. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    It can be done i have a video on it from the james river but I have never had any luck fishing for flats during the day. I fish for flats alot i have caught a couple during the day but its rare. I will almost argue with anybody about flathead fishing being the same during the day as it as night. Unless their fishing waters I have never fished and have no clue about. I have only had one good day for flats during the day during prespawn in the spring in Arizona in about 6 feet of water it was like they were laying on top of each other. Good luck to ya.

4. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    I have caught most of my flatheads within the first couple of hours after sunset. I have pulled my share of overnighters and I belive you will have better luck anytime after dark then you will during the day but I don't think you have to fish all night to do it.
    Fish from 8-11 p.m. then go get some sleep and hit it again about 4 a.m.

5. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Ray, on the Walnut I have always had luck fishing deep rocky holes or bends were there is a scoure hole with a sharp drop off.

6. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    Thanks for the tips guys. I'm ready for daylight savings time to end so I can get a little more night fishn done. It aint gonna be long now before I'm setting in front of a fire THINKING about fishn. This summer went way too fast.

BTW, how late in the year do you keep going out for Flats before you give it up for the season?

7. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    When water temps start dropping below 60F the fishing slows down considerably. There is a point with the water temp that....... gets the fall feed bag cranking............. its a short window though.

This summer went by way too fast..... :confused2:

8. kat king

kat king New Member

State:
    hutchinson,ks
    Hey fellow members i for one have never caught a flattie during the day well i take that back the one in my avatar i caught as the sun was setin but other then that none i have the best luck between dark and midnight then again between 4 and 8 but this year have not went in the a.m. very much and gotta agree where did the summer go it came then BAM it was gone hope the winter does the same so we can get back on some summer flatties another thing around here this summer was not even that hot last year i remember fishin with 80 degree lows what happend this year gotta take a jacket to fish at night:crazy: crazy weather..:smile2:

9. tn_5568

tn_5568 New Member

State:
    kansas
    i don't catch many flatheads but my old man does. this is different then everybody else but he does just as good during the day as at night. this might be because he always fishes the same little lake not on a river. he caught his biggest flattie a couple of years ago weighing in at 74 lbs and was caught at 10:300 am! i kinda think if you get a live perch in a hole or around some cover where yellows are hiding they will bite no matter what time it is.

10. tn_5568

tn_5568 New Member

State:
    kansas
    i also seen a 40-50 lb yellow caught this year at around 5:00 pm

11. Bigfish18

Bigfish18 Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    I have caught some decent flats during daylight hours. A friend of mine had an ankle braclet for a while, and was only allowed out of his home for a few hours a day. We would fish the same brush pile everyday in the early morning and nail em. Whats wild about it is the flats wanted fresh cut shad. We would use no weight and fish from the upstream side of the snag. Letting the current slowly bounce the offering to the heart of the brush pile. We caught a lot of flats from 5 to 25 pounds doing this. The first couple of hours after sunrise are unbelievable. I think they are just getting back to their hideout after a nite of hunting. If they havent quite flled their bellys you will get em.

I hope this helps some fellow catters out
    Cody

12. flatheadcat4u

flatheadcat4u New Member

State:
    Westmoreland, K
    hello brothers,for day time flatheads cover is key you can find the big log jams and bridge pillers youll find the flatheads just rember to fish the up stream/river side of this cover and any time you can find some deep holes with a peice of cover like a log or a fallen tree with the rootball in the up stream/river side your in the fish ive been lucky enought to fish the rock river and had just that situation and pulled 4 fish out of it in about 30min so i know for a fact that flatheads can be taken during day light hours hope this helps

13. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I catch most all my flatheads in the daytime...I target the deepest holes I can find in the river I fish...I dont target cover just deep water.

My favorite spot has 0 cover, just a deep hole, I also dont like to fish alot of current.

14. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Some good info from you guys.Thanks

Remember Structure doesnt alwas need to be wood.
    Breaks & ledges as little as 3' differance from surounding bottom depths are struture as stated by jack fishing a clean deep hole.

15. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Mr Whiskers has probably had a full night of it and will be hunting for a place
    where he can rest up, so you look for spots where he can do that during the
    day. Dark is good too and close to where he goes to feed is a bonus. If he's
    gonna jump on something he won't move far or fast and it will have to be
    something really good to eat. If it's a bluegill, clip a fin or two so he swims
    like a cripple. Knock a few scales off of him so he looks likehe had a narrow
    escape recently. Find a dark spot that breaks up current like a big logjam or
    a boulder near the bottom of a deep hole or an undercut bank on the
    outside of a bend. From the shape of the cover, figure where you could fit
    a big fish with his nose pointing up stream. Put your bait where he would
    only have to move six inches to get it. Wait twenty minutes then go to
    the next spot like it. Repeat. Daytime will work if you work harder at it.

16. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Has anyone started to think about the winter wholes for the flattie's?

17. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    I think about them all the time but it would just get me in trouble.:eek:oooh:

18. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    I think about them all the time too,..Its the talking about them in my sleep that gets me in trouble:wink:

19. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I bagged my pb in my avatar at aprox. 10:30 am in the morning it weighed 29.9 on my didgital scales.... then the next day bout 6ish p.m. I bagged a 28lber If your lucky and there hungry youll hit anytime I fish crazy time all the time I just go when I want too so I question the myths:wink: FISHIN IS FISHIN.........................................................................................