Daytime flatheads and hi vis lines

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by flathunter, Mar 15, 2008.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Last year I switched to low vis lines when flathead fishing and my catch rates went way up, coincedence, maybe? I have talked to others who target flatheads in the "dayitme" And also had the same results when switiching to low vis lines..I have had people tell me that hi vis lines shine like a fiber optic cable under water when they have a light source.

Now I am sure that when hight fishing it dont matter, but when day fishing for trophy flatheads I think there might be something to it.

2. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Another Question for the Catfish Gods to Ponder? Come on fellas Help Me and Jack out and Enlighten Us. J.D.

3. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    makes sense jack definitely make sense rick

4. Catfishn22

Catfishn22 New Member

State:
    WV
    I too switched from Hi Viz to Low Viz last year and caught more and bigger flatheads than ever.

I do almost all my flathead fishing at night so I wonder did the line color really make the difference or are there other factors that caused my better successes last year?

5. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Interesting. I use power pro so I guess it doesn't matter. Of course my leader is clear though.

I wonder, though, with the line, hook, sinker, swivel, bead, etc... if it makes any difference.

You know, I have a couple of guys that hate the sound of a fish finder pinging claiming it might discourage the fish.

Have you ever heard the wind through your guides and the vibration sounds going through a tight line?

That is the next hook for fisherman. I better call Berkely and start marketing low vibration line lol!

6. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I don`t think it makes a difference.

7. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i try to only use clear line myself. not that our rivers are clear though.

8. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    I get hung up more when flathead fishing rather than blue. I think they get my bait and try to wrap me up in stumps. I was thinking about maybe trying a couple rods with a braided line so it wont stretch and maybe I can pull it from the brush pile sooner. one thing I hate worse than getting hung up... is getting hung up with braided line. that stuff can be used as anchor rope. what do you use and are there brush/logs there?

9. comanchero

comanchero New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I don't think HiVis or LoVis matters a hoot. When they are hungry and you present a bait where they can get at it - they are going to eat it. A lot of the water I fish has maybe 2 foot to 2 1/2 feet of visibility during daytime plus you throw in shadows and all the cover - they don't pay any attention to line. I sometimes think we can over-complicate things.

10. lissaannjon

lissaannjon New Member

State:
    Dubuque, IA

amen brother!!! they are the meanest fish in freshwater. IMO its location, location, location. As you said if you put a good bait in front of their face their gonna eat it if they are hungry. i certainly dont think they care what its tied to. as for those who think a line change made all the differance in your success, come on man and give yourselves some credit. it may be you paid more attention to details and learned your water a little better over the year and had better bait placements in better locations that you didn't even know about the previous year. Dont give your line company all the credit for the work that YOU put into finding more and bigger fish:wink:. again that is JMO!

11. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Heres what I think.If your on virgin water the line shouldnt be a big problem.

I always have and always will fish with low vis line,my wife and son wanted the Neon Big Game I said I dont like it but they had to have it.During daytime fishing I out-caught them 5-1.Same exact baits hooks etc I even baited their lines and everything.This is a heavily fished area with ultra clear water and millions of baitfish and shad.

I just think that certain place require certain methods.Any pro-bassman or Walleye fisherman will attest to that fact.You have to adjust to your prey.

Also being the ultimate in Freshwater Predators there are 2 that tie for the top spot.Musky and Flatheads same people who declare high vis for Flats would probably not be caught dead fishing for Muskies using high vis line.

Food for thought.

12. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Valid point. In my main River they cannot see but 3 inches in front of their nose for the mud though.

13. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Interesting question Jack, but I have used every color known to man over the years and have caught my share of big flats on them. I agree with the above statement about complicating things. If the line is that much of an issue, you better not use stainless steel hooks either, light with them shiny babies are liable to blind them totally! rollo

14. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Same here , the Mon River on most days is like chocolate milk, I don`t believe hi vis or low vis makes a difference.

15. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Like any issue, some people are going to take each side, and probably they are all right depending on conditions. Personally, I do believe that line color and thickness can make a big difference, day or night.

Bottom line, though, is that if you believe it makes a difference, then that's what really matters. Fishing is about 50% confidence. If you believe hard enough that something will work, then it probably will. On the other hand, I fished a few times with a guy who believed that he never caught anything. Guess what - he was right!

16. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Try using a braided line for your main line and a leader of mono. You eliminate most of the stretch and if you get snagged up it usually will break on the mono. Kinda the best of both worlds.

17. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Jason, thats one reason I wont use stainless hooks, I dont like the shine, they need to make a hook in camo!

18. crazyjet1

crazyjet1 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    After reading this i would have to agree with camache. But your going to have more success at night regardless. If you plop it on his head during the day of course hes going to eat it but i dont think the lines would matter. Offshore big game braid is the line I use.

19. Wolfdog

Wolfdog New Member

State:
    Iowa
    You may be right, but I think I will try it. Any way it is a reason to go shopping at the fishing store.

20. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i think your right placement and the right baite and your set