Daytime flathead catfishing

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by STUMPKNOCKER, Jun 12, 2006.

1. STUMPKNOCKER

STUMPKNOCKER New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I am new to flatheads just wondering does the flatheads feed all day long or mainly at night and how far in a river will they swim to try to find a real deep hole, verses a avg. deep hole opposite sandbars, the river is real low right now, fishing wayne county altamaha river, thanks

2. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    If the river you're fishing is low Mr. Flattie has already found his nitch. He has the best spot for living/feeding he can get. He has to be more oppertunistic now because he's not free to swim a long distance to eat and find cover. He will be at a place where he can feed without exserting to much energy and retire to the safety he requires. A good brush pile in about 10ft. of water would be an ideal place to start looking. Any deep hole with cover close by should be your ticket.
    Don

3. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    it really doesnt even have to be deep just full of hiding places

4. qball

qball New Member

State:
    Odum, Ga
    I was down there this weekend we were catching some on bushhooks and some on poles most of the water was about 10 to 13 feet. Best times were around 10pm till 1am after that there wasn't much action.

5. qball

qball New Member

State:
    Odum, Ga
    I was there this weekend we were catching some on bushhooks and on poles. The water was about 10 to 13 feet. The best times was about 10pm till 1am. We wrer fishing 6 or 7 bends down from Lake Bluff.

6. Jackfish

Jackfish New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have always had my best luck at dusk or dawn

7. STUMPKNOCKER

STUMPKNOCKER New Member

State:
    Georgia
    thanks for the info.

8. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    welcome to the boc stump. as said they like feeding after hours best, but they dont have lockjaw in the day. you just have to put it in there face, which means deep in cover.

9. CBH

CBH New Member

State:
    WV
    I've given the daytime flatheads a shot, but all I can come up with is small ones! We've done really well this year, but nearly all of the fish that we've caught have hit from just before dark to midnight.

10. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    In early season they will feed in the day but right now you'll be waisting your time. They mainly eat from sunset to sunrise. And cover is more important than deapth, To me deapth is a plus, find the biggest logjam you can find deep or shallow, with the flathead population on the Altamaha River, I can asure you theres flatheads there.

11. CBH

CBH New Member

State:
    WV
    Here's a likely looking spot!! cat_house_2.JPG

12. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Remember, "Deep" could mean a 6 foot hole in an area thats mostly 3-4 feet, cover is more important.

13. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    thats a cat house if i ever seen one.

14. Memphis_Catfish_King

Memphis_Catfish_King New Member

State:
    Memphis,TN
    have to agree with Chris find the ugliest logjam or if it looks like ull get hung up alot fish it...lol