Daytime Flathead Catfishing

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Phillips, May 17, 2006.

1. Phillips

Phillips New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Has anyone caught any flatheads in the day time yet this year?

2. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    not this year yet but ive caught them in the day time plenty of times.

3. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    There seems to be a paradigm associated with flathead fishing, and that is you have to fish at night. I am not a flattie guy, buy some guys who are tell me that you can catch them during they very effectively.

I have read some research papers that used radio telemetry to track flatheads and their movements and feeding patterns and there was little difference between night and day.

Night is still the best in most peoples opinions, but a lot of people say that about any catfish. Probably 90% of my catfish have been caught during the day.

4. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I've found that if you find a flathead or two and put live bait down in the hole hes in he will usually bite it within 1 hour 10 minutes sometimes alot sooner no matter what time of day it is.Some times they want bite at all day or night.

5. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    i caught a 8-10 lb flattie out today about 800 am he hit my bait like a ton of bricks

6. pescador

pescador New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i see flatties caught at night and during the day about an equal amount. but i havent caught one during the day or night yet this year. been catching all those stinkin channels lol. got to move my bigger bait to a new spot i guess.

7. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Sgt Rob on the Louisiana side, caught a 13 and 40+ flat Tues. I use to never fish in the day till I say Rob catching the fire out of them in the day.

8. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I have not, but will fish for them during the day a few times. Some buddies of mine have caught some during the day along some irrigation pipes and drainage pipes areas in the canals along the colorado river. These were cover areas where the flats were hiding. So it goes along with the theory that flats head for cover during the day and come out to roam at night.

9. The J-Man!

The J-Man! New Member

State:
    St.Paul, MN
    For me 95% of the flatheads I have caught have come after sundown. I have witnessed a couple 40+ pounders come in the afternoon however, but most of my luck comes at night.

10. caatstalker

caatstalker New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i have cought flatheads in the daytime often, last week for example , cought 3 weighing between 5-9 lbs at the spillway behind greenleaf after the rain. u just have to put the bait close to where they are.

11. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    Caught a 4-5 pounder last saturday at about 1:30 in the afternoon.

12. BhamRoadrunner

BhamRoadrunner New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Caught a 5-6b lbs'er on a minnow at about 6pm last weekend. Still bright as all get out.

13. BigBlues

BigBlues New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Caught 2 flattys last weekend at a local pond, 19 3/4 and a 12lb, I think there starting to bite good, both caught during the day.

14. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    flats will bite quite well during the day this time of year and in the fall but mostly in the morning . in the summer they are very difficult to catch in the day. there is a tail water of a local lake near where i live that people just wear the flatheads out in may and the first part of june during daylight hours. these fish in the spring are in pre spawn and are eating all they can so i suppose they may extend their normal eating hours.

15. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    There was a pretty good writeup in last months NAFC magazine about catching daytime flats in rivers. I havent had any luck with it, then again i havent learned to fish the rivers where i now live to well either.

16. Cat King

Cat King New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I caught one about 5 in the day yesterday

17. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Some of the spots that I fish produce different types of fish during the day but no flathead. At night however, the same spots produce flathead.
    This is southern Az though and it is very hot during the day, so my opinion might not count for very much:roll_eyes:

18. FordTruckGuySTX

FordTruckGuySTX New Member

State:
    Caryville, TN
    I've had luck during the day but its always smaller pansize fish, nothing big during the day so far except jan-mar in Watts bar river under the dam

19. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i'm not sure about the whole day vs night deal. A friend of mine who has fished flatheads for decades on a river which gets a lot of recreational boat traffic insists the night bite is the best at least during the summer. (He tries to fish when the river has quieted down.) He does well, but he knows the river up and down.

I personally like to fish daytime also, but ususally i'm in the water by 6:00 am before the boat traffic.

I think if you're fishing deeper water or heavy cover (or shade) the daylight doesn't hurt that much. I agree with what someone else said about trying to place the bait right in front of their nose fishing daytime....

Shawn

20. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    I'm still waiting to catch a big flatty. Welcome to the BOC