Daytime Flathead Catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by riverwiskers, Sep 1, 2006.

1. riverwiskers

riverwiskers New Member

State:
    kelly nc
    Well, since tropical storm Ernesto has flooded the river where I fish, I have decided to fish for tips from you guys/gals. Here is my first "cast" LOL.

First of all for the record I usually only bank fish. I have a few good places that produce decent flatheads after dark, but have never ever caught one during the day. I was wandering do flats even feed during the day or is there some trick that I dont know about. If you have any questions about the bait,rigs,etc. that I use please post them and I will try to answer. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks Dale

2. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    Fish the deepest, darkest, nastiest, ungodly, snags you can find. As long as the bait's live, or JUST been killed, you should do alright. I think it was subnet zero that posted a video clip of how to catch day-time flatheads...but I could be wrong. Either way, it's definately worth the watch.

-Red

3. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    All i can say it that I agree with Redd.....

4. catfishn72

catfishn72 New Member

State:
    WhEELING,WEST VIRGINIA
    I Have Good Luck In High Water Just Add Some More Weight.

5. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    I agree 100% but you may have to put your bait into the snag to entice them. I know the flatheads in the rivers here in NC really prefer the live bait also our rivers our so full of bowfin and gar they would more than likely get to the bait before the flathead especially if it's dead.

6. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I Agree With The Previous Posts. Good Luck.

7. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    Daytime flathead fishing is a lot like vampire hunting. They only hunt at night, but if something were to come into their layer, it's fair game.

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Most of my biggest flatheads have come in the daytime, it can be done.

9. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    Red said it all !! I've flatties during the daylight hours,just have to find those "MEAN LOOKING SPOTS" . good luck

10. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    It can almost be as good and sometimes even better than after dark. They too are called "Mudcats" for reason too!

:cool2:

11. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

The only time I have caught flatheads during the day, I was fishing in SC and it was very overcast. We were not targeting them but that was what we were catching. Most were in open water near some islands. There could have been some good under cuts there but the graph was showing a pretty clean bottom.

12. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    They are night predators and if you fish for them during the day you will have to be where they are, that means if you are not getting hung up once in a while, you are not where they are!

13. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Wow Red, You have good memory!!!
    Youtube pulled that video :sad2: due to terms of use violation.. I'm guessing it was some copyright issue...
    I've read many an article and advice sections of various books and mags about "Daytime Flatheads" .. I spent the first 1/2 of this season going after them with only 2 found. In my oppinion, they are easier to find in the Rivers than the Lakes during the day.. I mainly fish two large power plant cooling lakes in my area. Both Lakes are known to produce LARGE flatheads consistantly, but are MOSTLY always caught between sunset and sunrise.. I have only banked fished a river near here a couple times. Both times was during the day. First trip out produced a 6lb flathead from the backside of a blowdown using nitecrawler. I believe with some good scouting either using a boat/sonar, walking the banks during low water period and studing the cuts, structure, and layout of the river (holes, undercuts, etc), you could become very successful in daytime flathead hunting...

attached is a couple of pics I snapped with my cell phone of the River Flatty I pulled out.. Sorry for the Quality, was fishing by myself and only had my cell on me to take pic hehe....

Attached Files:

14. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I think these guys have covered it all.....it can be done during the day, 50% of my flats have come during the day time but all of those were caught when I was going after channels with nice fresh cut shad.

15. Bullhead61

Bullhead61 New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Put a big bait just above a nasty log jam and let it drift in and hope you don't get snagged and it sometimes will trigger them to bite. During daytime they'll hit more out of aggression (defending their turf) than hunger.

16. Memphis_Catfish_King

Memphis_Catfish_King New Member

State:
    Memphis,TN
  17. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    after a hard rain when the river is muddy.fish 3 poles 1 with live bait i fresh cut chubs 1with earth worms if their there theyll bite.

18. catfish_clayton

catfish_clayton New Member

State:
    Catania, Italy,
    I've cauhgt alot of big flatties at night but a few of my biggest have came during the day, mostly out of the deepest holes I can find in backwaters.

19. Rootwad

Rootwad New Member

State:
    Platte City, MO
    I also agree with Red. Try to find a spot that has a floating debris pile wedged up against a snag or rootwad. This is overhead cover for Mr. Flathead and also a blocker where he can't see you either. Be prepared to loose a few hooks but Mr. Flat will be there and will take your bait if he is hungry.

20. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Some do feed during the day. If I had to guess there is 1 flathead in a spot that will feed in the day. compared to the 10 that will feed at night. You need to use solid equipment, w/ no leader sinker sliding up to the bait. and mabe try to suspend a bait. You need to put your bait right next to where you think they are. Cause in the day they aint moving far at all. But honestly man fis at night its easier, and with better results. the fish are nocternal.