Daytime Flathead Catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by stangcrazy85, Jun 1, 2009.

1. stangcrazy85

stangcrazy85 New Member

State:
    PerryTucky
    just wondering if anyone fishes in the daytime like from sun up to sundown ?? i have caught chanell's in this time frame but never really fished for flatties in this timeframe a little help would be oh so nice
    thanks
    Toby :big_smile:

2. CatBobJimFish

CatBobJimFish New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio

In the daytime I've never had any kinda luck with any kinda catfish, so Instead I usually go after bass, sauger, saugeye, bluegill and crappie(in no particular order), sometimes I'll get hits if I fish the bottom during the day, but judging from the quickness of the strikes they're more than likely from sauger/saugeye, or bass.

3. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    prespawn is a good time to fish in the day, even still they'll be hold tight to structure.

4. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
  5. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    ive caught some flatheads durring the day , but i love night fishing for them the best nothin better then being out alone in the dark hearing coyotes yelp , frogs chirpin and hearing the bait clicker slowly go off just a couple clicks at a time , or watching the rod bend slowly down and stay .
    ive caught larger flatheads at night by far then day time ...

i find late fall the best day time bite for flatheads from late sept to december . the fall feeding frenzy when the water temps drop really turn them on :wink:

6. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    i got my p. b. flat at 8:30 am on cut blue gill,in late aug:big_smile:

7. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The one in my avatar was caught at 1:30pm on cut shad. H2O Mellons pb came around 10:30am and Flathunter has caught most of his flats during the day. So they do feed during the daytime, don't be afraid to fish for them!!

8. stangcrazy85

stangcrazy85 New Member

State:
    PerryTucky
    right on guys thanks for the response

9. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    i have caught quite a few in the day time.i think some of the best times that i have caught them were pre-spawn and also in the fall when they are fattening up for winter.

those river guys catch them all the time in the middle of the day

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Fish deep holes in the daytime..I even catch them during the hottest month of the year August during the middle of the day.

11. 40oz

40oz New Member

State:
    Gun Barrel Tx
    Last friday I was fishing for channel cat & caught a small flat cat bout 4-5# around 3pm. It really surprised me. Little guy was a mean one.:big_smile:

12. J.A.B.

J.A.B. New Member

State:
    ohio
    i have caught a few fish durring the day. mostly durring pre spawn in deep structure. most have been between 10 and 25 pounds. i prefer night time fishing.