Daytime Flathead catfish

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by Bigcat tinyboat, May 29, 2009.

1. Bigcat tinyboat

Bigcat tinyboat New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Anyone been out recently in the daytime for flats? Only time I have for a few days is tomorrow morning to mid afternoon. Nights are booked. I have caught all my biggest flatheads in the daytime but only below dams on crankbaits not targeting flatheads. I've never actually targeted flatheads in the daytime with gills. Guess I'll find out in about 12 hours. Murky river can't hurt.

2. riv56

riv56 New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    First off welcome to the boc joe, an I have caught many nice flat heads in the day time, I believe they are a opportunity feeder if its there an they are hungry, hang on to your rod.

3. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

WELCOME JOE.I never used to fish for daytime flats,I kept pushing my starting time earlier til I figured out there wasn,t any time they wouldn,t bite.I found I had to fish some different spots,deeper but not too far from where I usually hit em at night.If you know your area good,try the 1st deep hole away from a good shallow nite feeding spot.I like live gills during the day too.:big_smile:

4. Never did that buddy, but I am going to try maybe this weekend.:wink:

5. PABowhunter4life

PABowhunter4life New Member

State:
    Blawnox, PA
    I used to think cats only bit in the evenings in to the night but soon learned I was wrong when I had flatheads start grabbing spinners, jigs and minnows at high noon lol. Deep holes and structure seem to be the key for daytime cats; just like a lot of other fish. Like riv56 said, predatory fish usually don't pass up an opportunity at an easy meal and I don't think Mr. Big much cares if he gets a 5" bluegill at 2 p.m. or 2 a.m. .

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have caught most of my big flatheads during the middle of the day...August has

7. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    My suggestion is fish that same dam with live baitfish and heavy tackle.

Bring plenty of lead!:wink::cool2:

8. moose22dog

moose22dog New Member

State:
    YINZERBURGH,PA
    i hear everyone talking about catching flats in the day but i still haven't. only time i got any when it was light out was early to mid mournig nothing past 10 am. not saying yinz are lying, just that i haven't yet i know some deep holes too thats where i would go in the daytime. maybe this year i wil be able to check that one of the list. well tight lines bro keep at it they are still bitting!!!