Daytime Flathead Catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by jason berry, Apr 24, 2009.

1. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Guys Ive had a different week than I have ever had for catching flats. I have not been targeting them and have been catchin them during the day while bluefishing. Me and a partner caught two around 10 am in the morning during a tournament last week in the Ohio River. One was 17 and the other was 20 on skipjack. We came in second in the tournament so was fired up on that. Then while catching skipjack I hooked into a monster flat around 40# with a 1/8 ounce jig at the dam. He came to the top of the water around a bush and I knew there was no way I was getting him in but was yelling at people to look at the size of the flat on a crappie jig then the hook got bent totally straight,. Also have caught smaller flats this week in the river during the day under 10#. I still believe a better success rate is for sure at night because I havent been targeting flats during the day but have been getting lucky and catching them. Maybe Ill get a monster flat for the Cableas tourney because I still havent seen one at a daytime tourney.

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jason congrats on the second place finish in the tournament. Thanks for sharing the story on the daytime Flathead catch. I find when their hungry you can catch them all day.

3. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    I've always caught mine during the day because I hate fishing at night.

4. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Sounds like you got a heck of a start to your season brother!:wink: I was actually thinking about trying for some flats during the day this weekend. It will be the first time Ive actually gone out during the day targeting them...congrats on your tournament placement too!

5. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I might have had a jig on the pole but I forgot to add that I had 30# power pro braided line on. I wouldnt believe that I could have even got a flat to the surface of that size if he wouldnt have hit it in the flooded bushes like he did. Truely blue my mind, ive seen channels caught on rattle traps and other lures but never a flat and during the day even if he did get away.

6. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Nice job on the flats Bro.
    When it rains I cannot work, so I fish if I can and I've caught 90% of countless numbers of flatheads during the day. Last year though for the first time in years I went night fishing for them with my brother and our sons and ended up with 58 I think it was in about 5-6 nights..It was the crazy'est time weve ever had catching flatheads..:smile2:.

I've also seen Doug Stangy? //Pro ..flip jigs with chuncks of cut bait as a trailer in trees and pull hog flats out during the day..

7. thecatman

thecatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    i personally have never had any luck at all for flats during the day i've tried fishin for em but to no avail i usually catch mine at dusk during the night or at dawn

8. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    We have caught two during the day so far this year. 7 and 9 pounds. I was targeting channels though. This year I plan on using live gills during the day time for flats.

Attached Files:

9. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Caught em all on the Mo river in deep water on live or fresh cut bait in the day time. I think muddy or dark water helps. Never got one in the gasconade during daylight but its a clearer river.

10. catfishguy

catfishguy New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Muddy river are the only rivers I can catch flats during the day. Mostly early late or night for me. I like night fishing though.

11. Jerry60k

Jerry60k Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    The main area I fish has very clear water and I catch 90% of my flatheads during daylight hours.Even the 1 in my avatar was caught in the last bit of daylight as the sun was setting.I find that the monster gar around here start to cruise about dark reducing the ability to keep a good piece of bait out for long.

12. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    a bit of evidence for reginal populations in virgina pensalvasna and caralinas flatheads are everywere feed all the time, here in illinois its not easy to get a big flat, from the bank, im luky to get one or two big ones a year, the daytime bites you cant even tell there on if your using bluegill they just eat and sit wont bend that poll a bit, but in penn state,they bite like carp all the time

13. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Being a bank fisherman....I find it much easier to catch them at night. If I had a boat, I would target them in deeper water and heavy structure during the day.:confused2:

14. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Jason, there's some guys up here that I see once in a while that ALWAYS use 3" white curly tail grubs on a pink jig head to fish for flatties. I always assumed they were fishing for walleye in the river until they gave me a DVD of home videos of them catching flatheads on these rigs. I never would have believed it. Of course the jigs are a heavier gauge hook, but its the same idea. But now I always keep some white curly tail grubs and heavy jigs in with the rest of my cat tackle-- just in case.

Next thing you know you'll be landing flatties on hotdogs and spam. :smile2:

15. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You can use heavy jig heads and a head hooked shad the same way as a grub. I have taken some nice ones that way off rirprap and below dams. Even done it with strips of fresh carp -flatt womps it hard its, a blast when it happens

16. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Flppin jigs I believe will work for almost any fish now. I have caught crappie, bass, bluegill, skipjack, snagged a shad, and hooked a big flat, and gettin stripers straightening hooks in the last month with them. We caught two more flats at the Cabelas tourney in the daytime today off a sandbar in less than 10 feet of water, very sunny. I am going to target sandbars alot more this year for flats than in the past, they are often over looked because of shallow water but they produce.

17. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    where doy you target daytime flatheads? I've tried fishing the jams during the day but they don't consistently produce. I've caught all of my big flatties at night time.

18. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i hear you got to put your bait right around the nastiest snags in deeper water, but i aint got a boat to hunt there homes , i wait for them at night to swim around logs and flats points,

19. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Normally if I was fishing for flats in the daytime it would be deeper water and right in snags such as trees fallin in the river. However thats not where were catchin them, were catchin them off of sandbars and close to some snags but not in them or under them. I also hooked the big ones with the jigs at the dam around some flooded bushes, but the river here is real muddy so that probably helps.

20. scwhite

scwhite New Member

State:
    Shreveport , La.
    Your right the muddy water makes them feed more in the day . I fish the Red River and it is allways muddy . And I have found that the flatheads do feed better is the daytime . They can see better . That is one more sence that they can use .