Daytime flathead catfish fishing

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by CatHunterSteve, Aug 28, 2009.

1. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    I plan to fish this morning when I get off from work at about 6 am and fish most of the day. If I target flats, should I target the same structure during the daylight hours as I would at night, just tighter up against the structure?

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I catch alot of big daytime flatheads..They do not come from stucture..they come from deep holes in the river I fish, deep here is 25-30 feet.

My best time for daytime flats is noon till 7pm, by noon the flats have returned to the holes after a night of fishing, and dont leave till dusk.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009

3. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    I'm not much of a flathead daytime fisherman myself and am looking to improve in the are but the few that I have caught during the daytime like previously stated has come from the deepest holes I can find. some being 10-20ft.

4. KATTERMAN

KATTERMAN New Member

State:
    OKLA
    i think i will give that a try fishing in deep holes during day,the small river
    i fish has no wood in deeper holes,where i find logjams in 3 to 5 of water
    hav'nt had any luck thanks for info

5. KAW RIVER KILLER

KAW RIVER KILLER New Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    What about in a lake? Maybe the face of the dam? Deep rip rap?

6. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    what jack said. fish deeper pools especially ones with cover. fish all around the hole too,not just in the deepest section. they can be in the front, side, middle, tail end, in tight to the wood,or out away from anything.... it all depends on the conditions in their environment. my best times are around 10-noon, but that too is not a constant.

7. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas
    I would think so... or where you would target bait fish.

8. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Pretty much the same catching principles. Good luck!

9. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I caught four flatheads on Saturday during the day. All of them came out of around 60' of water in the Big Ohio on cut shad.

10. KATTERMAN

KATTERMAN New Member

State:
    OKLA
    congrats niko on the flats,how big were they

11. Bassmaster9863

Bassmaster9863 New Member

State:
    WEST VIRGINIA
    congrats.... where were u fishing on ohio? I was fishing robert C byrd locks and around that area

12. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    I exclusively target flats during the day and you're getting some good info. I fish deep holes, but try to move your baits and your boat around to fish every possible piece of cover in the hole. Cover doesn't always mean wood or rocks, it can be the head of the hole where the drop off is, or the ledge on the side. There is almost always some kind of wood structure within the hole too. Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there. A flathead catfish doesn't know how big he is, which means that they will hold behind anything that gives them a current break, be it a large root ball or a sunken tire. They all will hold fish given the right circumstances and conditions. Also remember that mid-depth structure will hold fish too. I look for rootballs where just the very top is out of the water and all of the smaller branches are gone to the point where nothing is left but the root, the trunk and the larger branches. Start with your baits right behind the root ball on each side, then move down the trunk and larger branches. Fish it thoroughly!-you almost have to put it on there nose! This style of fishing can be easier to start out with because you can see what your'e fishing. Use short leaders, mix in cut baits(especially in the spring and fall), and don't spend too much time with your baits in a spot that you're not getting bit. If you put it where he's at on theat particular day, you'll know it before you get your other rods out. Also, just because you fish a spot and don't catch one, don't disregard that spot in the future, this is especially true during rising water levels.
    GOOD LUCK and I hope it helps!:wink:

13. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Went back out again Tuesday morning and caught three more daytime flatheads on cutbait. They all came from deep river holes 45-55' deep. In the section of the Ohio I fish the deepest water you will find is around 60-65'. Nothing huge biggest was around 13lbs. Had a couple get off I'm sure those were the monsters :roll_eyes: Also got a 16lb blue and 10lb drum. All fish came off of fresh cut shad.

Attached Files:

14. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    Good stuff bro. I would like to traget Flats during the day sometime to see if I couldn't get me a few.