Daytime flathead catfish 10/02

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by dogcat, Oct 3, 2008.

1. dogcat

dogcat New Member

State:
    Dayton Area Ohio
    Silvermark and I set out after cancelling a night time event on Wednesday due to unforseen circumstances. We were on the river by about 9:15. The first hole we hit I caught a niced sized but UGLY 12ish pounder within a half hour or so. Had a skin condition blackening most of the fish much TJ caught earlier this year near Troy. He was hiding in a log jam and I coaxed him out with a nice 6-7 inch chub. Moved down stream tried different spots and no luck went further down and Mark got a nice channel and had one tie up quick he figured to be a flattie. I landed my second a short time later around noon under a tree which we estimated about 9 pounds. Beautiful fall day, big healthy creek chubs left over from Sunday and daytime flatheads....priceless. No pics this time, may try again Sunday.

2. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Sounds like a great day! Congrats!!

3. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Sure had a pretty good day. Glad ya shared the story an congrats on the catch.

4. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Thanks for the report. Nice trip!

5. dogcat

dogcat New Member

State:
    Dayton Area Ohio
    It sure was nice day and I have to say hi to Katmonster11 who showed up where I ended my day with his crew. How many turtles did you guys land? :big_smile: Class fellow and nice to meet another brother on the river. Going to try again tomorrow heading out early in the morning and will report back and may take some pics for grins even if they aren't of much size. The GMR has got to turn on soon as they have to start filling up the feedbags soon. If we would have had rain from Ike instead of wind, OMG, we wouldn't be hanging around the computer much I don't beleive. Monday's storms were enought to improve the river some but it is still way low and I think the flatties are laying low too.

6. Monsterkat11

Monsterkat11 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    hey it was nice to meet you!, and also seeing you again today! hopefully they'll turn on again real soon!

7. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like a nice day on the water, congrats

8. Catmaster9786

Catmaster9786 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would love to have a day with flatties like that, good job man!!

9. dogcat

dogcat New Member

State:
    Dayton Area Ohio
    Mark nailed a 34 pounder today, it hit within about 5 minutes after he arrived sometime well after dawn and if he doesn't post a pic, I will. He said it took a small gill and was the only run of the day. I work until 7 PM tomorrow and am off Friday <I hope> so I will post any results in another thread, leaving this open to other daytime flathead reports. We sure have enough bait left. I think the rain helped and it's the time of year with such dry weather and cooler temps that flats will be a bit more active during the day at times. Hey, it's worth a try and they have to start feeding soon plus it sure beats sitting at home on a day off.