Daytime fishing for flathead catfish?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by neocats, Aug 15, 2007.

1. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I'm on third shift now for about 3 months, so I have to adjust my fishing time. I'm am going to hit the Ohio River about 7AM and try for some Flathead action. Any suggestions? Do I need to change anything from my normal nightitme tactics to be more productive during the daytime?

2. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    use all the nighttime tactics but instead of fishing shallow fish as deep as you can find around the same structure you would fish at night.

3. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Deep water WITH good current and wood.

4. gerbjello

gerbjello New Member

State:
    york, pa
    i cought my first flathead in the day time i was just fishing in fast current like at a spill way

5. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

rushings advice is to the point. i would add that fishing a deep hole, many people often think in 2-dimentional thinking. it is infact closer to 4-dimentional dynamics. if you look at the current flow(and other factors) thru that hole it will be very different measured at different spots. loooking at a simplified cut of the river without any structure, the bottom and sides will have very little flow, the surface will actualy be slightly slower than the main body, and the main boddy(with highest flow rate) will have varring flow characteristics thru- out. I love watching water flow it is facinating. understanding the river water motion is what separated river schooled fishermen from lake bobber fishermen. so tossing into the hole might be good, but looking at how the water swirls might give insight to what portion of that hole is the spot on spot that holds the majic. i am under the impression that holed fish often position themselfs to take advantage of current breaks. such that a good portion of the body is out of the moving columb, but yet the water is still flowing over and thru(them). perhaps the leading edge of the hole would be a good example.
    oh and 3rd shifters Catch more fish, as they are on point durring the fishing week. my 2cent donation to that subject.

6. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Ok. I think that could be wrong, Because yesterday i seen a guy fishing a float mid day, Hot as could be in a hole that was maybe 5 ft deep, But fast moving water. He caught 7 i watched him, He was standing in the middle wading and just casting out by the rocks. I seen him catch all seven from 15 lbs biggest was 34 lbs i do believe

7. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    It depends, every hole is different and every river is different, with hot water temps and slower currents flats tend not to be in the deep holes with slower or no current because of the lack of oxygen this time of year but if you find one that has wood or rocks and good current flowing through all parts of the hole they will be there. If the flats don't have a hole like that near by then you can find them anywhere they can find some sort of cover with good water flow. These are only loose guidelines there is never a sure bet when it comes to flatheads, they can be caught anywhere at anytime but there are areas you can fish that will put things in your favor and during the day its deeper water with good current and structure.

8. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    IMO...fishing for Flats in daytime is a little easier than at night. Night time will usually bring them out of their holes/territory to go hunting so it`s a little harder to look for them. While at daytime, they are usually back in their holes, log jams, brushpiles, etc...

Heres a picture of 2 flats that we caught on the same bridge pillar but on different sides. They were both caught within a couple of minutes from each other.

Attached Files:

9. WV Catcatcher

WV Catcatcher New Member

State:
    west virginia
    We have been catching a few between 7 and 10 in the morning at a local lake.

10. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Sorry I can help you out, I have never caught a daytime flathead.

11. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i have a favorite little backwater channel off the colorado river here close to yuma,az. i've caught several flatties during the daytime in it. current is running and bushes overhang the water there there for shade. but most of my fish have been caught at night. maybe cause i like fishing nites more cause of the solitude and stars though. :big_smile:
    gary

12. King Flats W'loo

King Flats W'loo New Member

State:
    iowa
    I havent changed anything but fish deeper for them, oh yeah make sure u have ur coffee:big_smile:

13. King Flats W'loo

State:
    iowa
    Yes you can also use a float in the daytime to broadin ur search field , the river here has spots that has slow moving water that you can float for flats. but i find it more rewarding when you just fish where more oxygen is concentrated at doing the day which in my case would be by a dam. Circle hooks are great!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. King Flats W'loo

State:
    iowa
    indeed you will catch like this

Attached Files:

15. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Very nice fish, Casey.

16. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Congrats. Thanks for sharing the pics & info too.:haha:

17. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Neocats, you did not mention whether you were bank, wading or boat fishing for flatheads. So, I will give you my experience with drift fishing for flatheads.
    I fish Lake Norman, NC and we have very little current, would not know current on this lake if I saw it! I fish from first light to 11 AM, 200 some days a year and catch my share of flatheads. I do not always target flatheads since we are blessed with some nice Ark. blues. We held the state record for a blue (89#) for several years. 50% of my trips will produce a flathead or two in the range of 3 to 20# and every now and then a 40 to 55# flat will be caught. I am attaching three flatheads that were caught this year as an example of the flats that come out of LKN while drift fishing. Mac

18. jdmert

jdmert New Member

State:
    Missouri
    BE patient, but I have caught quite a few during the day. Find a flat and if you can fish right at the ledge or drop off. Where I have had luck it 5-6' deep and drops to 12- 13' with a little current.

19. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i caught 2 flatheads a few yrs ago at the cannelton dam setting up on the flood wall and throwing into the swirling water. it was probably 10 or so in the morning. one was 11 the other was 19lbs on night crawlers.

20. King Flats W'loo

State:
    iowa
    i was bank fishing below a dam:sad2: