Daytime Catfish ???

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by river_rat_42, Sep 9, 2006.

1. river_rat_42

river_rat_42 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Lets say you were gonna go down to the river in the middle of the day 1pm or so and try catching some catfish. Now, you don't have to tell me that the worst time of day to fish is right around the middle of the day, b/c I already know that. But, there are some days that I am really bored in the middle of the day and I wonder if I should try to go catfishin'. I never go, but if I did (cause I might here in a few days) what would you guys use for bait, and where and how would yall try to catch em'. Keep in mind, the bad part, that I don't have a boat, therefore I can't get to deeper water where most cats are in the middle of the day (I think). So, I fish a lucky dock (the one in my pic.) where I catch the majority of my cats. So, what do yall think can I catch a few in the middle of the day, if so how??? OR should I just stay at home and be bored. THANKS FELLAS

2. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I say give it a try, you won't know unless you do.
    Any way not catching fish at the lake is always better than staying home and being bored:smile2: .
    Go for it and good luck.

3. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Alot of guys do pretty well during the day time . You might want to try alittle deeper water and move around more .

4. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Craig I think David has given some good advice. Try the same tactics that have caught fish before and see if that works. If you don't connect change stuff up. Try different baits and different depths and see if that helps. I can't guarantee you will catch fish doing that but I can guarantee you won't catch them setting around the house being bored. Good luck and let us know how you do.

st

5. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    when i had my little jon boat id set out trout lines in the heat of the day and somtimes before id get it baited up i would catch blues near the surface on a dry hook

6. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I fish a lot during the day. I use the same tactics during the day that I employ at night. I fish from 3 foot of water to about 30 foot of water. The thing that changes for me is bait, but that is an ever changing detail. I have choices that I start with such as: whole live gill, cut shad/herring/large minnows and night crawlers. As the day progresses and I get more bites, runs are catches I adjust and change baits accordingly. If no bites are present I like to try some DK's before changing spots. This system while not fail proof has kept me on fish regularly, though not always the biggest fish, I rarely get skunked.

7. CFH

CFH New Member

State:
    Alabama
    If the size doesn't matter, use nightcrawlers. You will probably catch more than catfish with them.

8. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    For me, the fishing is pretty good up until about 3 pm during the summer. About that time, the bite always stops, whether I try deeper water, using a float, or whatever. Remember that the middle of the day starts one hour later in the summer for most of us, so 3 is reall 2 to the catfish. That's about the time the water really begins to heat up. BTW, I always fish in the daytime, never at night.

9. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    have you ever tried "baiting" a hole? this may not be legal where you fish but if it is, it may be the way to go for ya. there are several catfish chums available but i have heard of people just going to a feed mill and getting feed and such and sinking it where you plan to fish. you need to do this several days in advance to get the full effect but it does draw fish in that otherwise would not be there. just a thought. and again, make sure it is legal!

10. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    You can catch fish any time of the day, and obviously some times are better than others. When condition are right you can catch them at high noon. Fish when you can.

11. ivan09193

ivan09193 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Fish just before storms during the day. I think that catfish hang closer to shore under those conditions.

12. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    try fishing aBOUT 1 FT FROM THE SURFACE IN THE HOT OF THE DAY FOR SOME GOOD FILLET SIZE BLUES.GOOD LUCK