Daytime Catfish or TURTLE TIME ? (Griggs Reservoir Report 9/08/09)

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Garrett Cope, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    Guess it's just about time for daytime cats. Went baitfishing at Griggs Tuesday afternoon for some cattin' later that night. It was overcast and raining when i got there so i headed under the bridge to catch a mess of gills. I'd caught just a handful when a guy motoring by in his bass boat saw me and asked if i wanted more bait. "Well HELL YES" i said and i met him over at the ramp. His livewell was full of jumbo gills and a mess of junior smallies and largemouths. Before emptying the well he gave me pick of the litter (i did scoop up a snack-sized rock bass:crazy:) and i added a handful of gills to my bucket. I guess some bass fishermen ain't all bad:wink:. I thanked him and as i often do while baitfishing...i set up a rod holder,baited up a fresh gill head and flung it out there about 50 yards away from where i was reelin' in the sunfish. I only got a few more gills when i glanced downstream at my cat rig and thought i saw the rod tip bobbin' a little. Suddenly it went down pretty hard and by the time I got there the line was slack. Then it started going out again...then slack...doesn't take einstein to figure out that equation: cut-bait + line-out + line-in + line-out again = TURTLE. Well circle hooks BE DAMNED, i snatched the rod out of the holder and tried to rip the lips off the shelled %&#$#*!. Got it. Felt kinda heavy but didn't seem to be swimming or fighting really. More like ROLLING. Gotta be a turtle right? NOPE COPE. It was the worn out whiskered guy pictured below (not ME dummy..the FISH!). Best i can figure...he was probably hooked (right in the corner of the mouth of course) for at least 5 minutes before i got there. He weighed in at 5 tired lbs and went 24" inches. Perhaps i've exorcised the curse of the dreaded turtle. Or maybe the daytime bite is finally on. By the way....didn't get so much as a nibble when i went back that night. Go figure.:crazy:

Attached Files:

2. skunkedagain

skunkedagain New Member

State:
    OHIO
    at least u made it an adventure

3. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    HAHA Brotherhood of Turtle Yankers

4. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    What's this?! No representing the TKO?

Did we(I) pick the wrong man for President?:big_smile:

5. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    I'm done with Turtles, Brother. It's my favorite time of year and my favorite time to fish. Cool weather = hot bite. I'm ready to catch some good fish.

6. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    What's "not good" about a turtle?:crazy:

It's kind of funny though. Weds night I went to my spot on the Scioto. With the recent rain, the water looked to be up about a foot. Current was moving nicely, and the day was not bad at all. Now, the rain was threatening, and it did rain lightly for a couple of minutes, but that cleared up and never bothered again.

I fished from about 5:00 to 11:00 and didn't get 1 good bite.:big_smile: I had 1, count it, 1 short crappy run. The only other action I got were a few hits from turtles, but even those were crappy. It was all around not a very good trip. It was so bad that I got the ultimate insult to a fisherman. Had a spider build a web between both rods.

7. hawgmaster

hawgmaster New Member

State:
    SE columbu
    the ultimate insult.....had plenty of those this year in so used to it by now.....been a real slow year for me...nice day catch man

tight lines all!!!

8. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Garret do you work at all:smile2::big_smile:, great catch

9. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    I don't know Garrett well enough yet, but I get the feeling that he works hard...at not working.:smile2:

10. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    Laid off i'm afraid. Hopefully be back to work soon so i can afford to fish a little farther from home more:) For all the fishing i've done this year i need to do more CATCHIN'