Daylilies Part Deaux!

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by catsmith1, Feb 12, 2007.

1. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Ok it is a new year and I thought we might need a new daylily page. I had no pics to post last year with my brown thumb and all but enjoyed yalls. My lillies are coming up here!

2. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN

Mine have had some little greenery all year, so far, but the cold keeps them to the ground pretty much here. Sometimes I only see about an inch sticking up green here, but they are still there and will be beautiful here around the end of May thru about the first of August, right after the Irises bloom. My dogwood tree out front has had buds for about 2 months that keep their heads poked in waiting for spring............and it's right around the corner!

Can't wait to see your pics! Yours probably bloom earlier than here. What month do they bloom there? Do you have any that re-bloom?

Take care.
    Cheryl

3. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Yeay!!! Thanks Robert! I'll have to admit, I've been spending the past several nights on ebay looking at daylillies. In fact, I had a weak moment today in Wal Mart & bought a packaged one called Strawberry Fields Forever. And...I ordered a book on ebay about daylillies. I think it's an addiction!!! I'm enlarging my front flower bed...quite a bit...just to add more! I have some that keep the foliage all year, & some that are just beginning to break the soil. As they start blooming, I'll post pictures. I've already posted mine from last year on the other daylily thread, & it won't let me use them again. But...I should have some pretty ones. Cheryl...I also bought a couple of irises this year. Hope they bloom for me....Of course, pictures will follow if they do!!

4. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Can't wait to see the pics, Roxie! Still gotta do some trading some time. Hopefully when spring hits here, I'll feel more like actually diggin' in the dirt. :wink:

5. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Hey Roxie! Good to see ya !

Some of mine are getting about 4 inches tall. If we sell our house I will probably leave them one of each clump and take the rest with me. Ionly have a few different kinds and just started last year thanks to Ersel. Christy and Ersel got us one called Friendship lilly last year and the rest are just natural ones I have found the last couple of years.

6. coorsdrifter

coorsdrifter New Member

State:
    Eddyville,Ky
    Is it to late to plant daylilies in Ky?

7. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Man, I hope somebody closer to Kentucky than me can help you out. Here in Louisiana, it's beginning to try to warm up. Today is beautiful, but very windy! The past few days have been pretty cold though. I had heard once about the ground temp needing to be about 50 degrees, but don't quote me on that; I'm not real sure.
    Anybody out there with some help for this one?

8. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    No it actually is early I have planted here all summer when it is hot just cut the green leaves back.

9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    You can plant Lillies when the spring weather breaks thru and a good trick I use is if I get some pretty ones in late I stick them in the refrig. for a week and that sets the dormint cycle into motion and then plant them.
    I haven't had a problem yet.

You guys ought to see the lillies that grow wild right around my place here.

BTW If any of you guys need any starts on Hostice just let me know. I have way more then I need.

10. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Thanks, Bubbakat. What can you tell me about hostas? Are they fairly easy to grow in the shade? Remember, I live in Louisiana & it does get HOT here! Thanks for any help.

11. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

12. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill

Hostice would grow on a flat rock and multiply if you put roundup on them.:big_smile: Makes great entrance borders and easy to care for.

Where do you live in LA. I am coming down that way the last of may and would be glad to bring you a few so you can try them.

We sent my mother in law some in corpus and she said they were doing great and that place is the devil's playground in the summer.

13. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Tanya & Willard, thanks for those helpful posts. Willard, we live in the Northwest corner, just outside of Shreveport/Bossier City, Louisiana. It gets hot here, but if they're growing good in Corpus, surely I can get some to grow!:big_smile:

14. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Roxie, Just let me know how I can get hold of you all and this may when we come floating thru your town I'll just bring you a box to get started on.

15. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Thanks, Willard, I'll check w/my husband & P.M. you the info. I really appreciate it. I've been enlarging a flower bed, & have a spot I think they'll do well in...

16. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Worked some more on enlarging my flower bed this past weekend. The temps were really nice, upper 50's to 60's. The dirt is just perfect for working with. I pulled up a wheelbarrow load of grass. Still need to get the edging moved, so I can bring in dirt & fertilizer.
    I bought some daylillies in packages @ Wal Mart & Home Depot & potted them, for now. They're coming up real good; think I may get them in the ground later this week.
    I have to keep reminding myself.....it's only March!!!

17. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Flower bed is pretty much finished....and LOTS of empty space!! Yay!! I got the new edging up, & put in 12 bags total of topsoil, humus & cow manure. Then today I had a weak moment.....I stopped at Home Depot. Came home with 1 new bright yellow Asiatic Lily...it is gorgeous! Also, a fuschia pink colored Stock; I've never grown it, but it's supposed to be pretty hardy. Also, a potted zinnia; the flowers are a combined orange-red color. Really showy! Plus....(I know, I know!)..1 small hosta, 2 white-leaved caladiums, & a 4-pk of hot pink zinnias. After I got them planted, I decided to check on my daylillies that are in the pots....and 1 of them has a bud on it!!! It's supposed to be pink. I can't wait!!! So, I got my daylillies set out also. And....still have LOTS more room........Woohoo!! I LUV diggin' in the dirt!!:tounge_out: Oh...my Dad said he's got some daylillies in pots in his greenhouse that I can have. And, he's got alot of Arkansas quartz rock, from when he & my Mother used to go on vacation (and she always brought home rocks!) that I'm going to use around the edges.
    Whew! Sorry!! I did run on, didn't I???

18. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Roxie,

Sounds like great fun! Still watching the earth wake up here, sprouts here, sprouts there. Have miniature yellow daffodils blooming. They are so petite I just love them. I went out to pick my daughter one of the tiniest blooms and grabbed it up and it was a double. Tickles her that I pick her a flower for her hair when she comes by. First time I had seen her in over a month. She was all dressed in black/white/gray and looking pretty and the little yellow flowers behind her ear, just set her beauty off more. The hyacinths are blooming. I have a beautiful purple one and several white ones, the pinks haven't shown any colors yet. The crocuses are almost gone now. Next for me will be the irises. :smile2:

Oh yeah, I must be a redneck, cause I'm just like your Mom, I usually pick up rocks from where ever I go, for some reason or another. :cool2: I have river rocks edging my flower beds, which I picked up well at the lake instead of the river. Glad I didn't get caught, I might still be in the hoose gow. :embarassed:

Take care
    Cheryl

P.S. Spring has sprung here because I heard the tree frogs earlier and just now when I went outside. I love to hear those little critters talk.

19. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    I can't wait to see the beds Roxie! I already told Elaine that when we move all the flowerbeds will be 5 ft wide. Gotta justify the tractor!

20. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Heehee....there ya go!!!
    My Dad brought me some pots of daylillies he'd had in his little greenhouse since last year, so I set them out yesterday. Got 3 good-sized bunches out of them. I can't wait to see what colors they are; he doesn't know, because his neighbor got them from someone else.....well, you know! So..it'll be a very pleasant surprise if/when they bloom. But I've still got lots of room.....:roll_eyes::wink:
    Oh, and I went back & bought another hosta, plus two beautiful big-leaved coleus!