Daylilies flowers

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by ersel, Apr 4, 2006.

1. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    Do anyone raise daylilies? I started about five years ago and they are the easiest, most dependable flowers I have ever grown.

2. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Sorry, all I seem to be able to raise is dandelions (need spell check) in the front yard...

3. Cattledogz

Cattledogz New Member

State:
    NC
    Can't say that I raise them, but have planted, grown, and divided many varieties of them.

You are right, they are one of the easiest things there is to grow. Hardest part of all is dividing them and a sharp shovel, hatchet, etc. make that much easier to do.

4. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    Have you tried pollenating sp. them I have had decent success. Nothing spectacular but some decent plants.

5. Cattledogz

Cattledogz New Member

State:
    NC
    Hey Ersel,
    Haven't ever tried it on daylillies. I would think it would be easy though. I have played around with it on some other flowers in the past and had fun with it.

Do you grow hostas at all? They are interesting as well and just as easy to grow as the daylillies are.

I love flowers and love growing them but it gets physically harder every year due to some problems that are a result of a head on car accident back in 1984.

Plus I spend too much time fishin ...lol

6. APD1146

APD1146 New Member

State:
    New York
    I have grown them for years an given away 100's of them. The regular day lilies with the roots rather then the bulbs I divide with a frozen food knife. One side is serrated and the other is like a saw with aggresive teeth. The bulb type I just divide by digging them up every 3 years and dividing them. I keep the top size and a few small one's and give the rest to friends. I want to play with trying to cross breed a few. This is a long process that takes years to get a new variety.

7. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    I've never done much with Hostas. We trade alot of Daylilies around with family and friends.

8. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
  9. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Swamp is the one and only expert I know for daylilies, so ask him anything BUT be careful or you might get a technical reply that warps your mind. I have some pics of ones I got from him. If anyone is interested I will post them. Some take your breath away.

I love all kinds of flowers. I love to watch them all individually bloom as they are all unique. I have a collection of irises as well as the daylilies. Due to health reasons, I am pulling back from planting alot of annuals and tending to my flowers as I would like, but we all have to deal with it at some point or another. I have lots of perinneals so I shouldn't have to worry about color for a few years in the yard. At least until my eyesight goes the rest of the way. LOL.

10. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    Nice Pics Swampy I'm not nearly that into them I only have 150 or so. Are those your cultivers?

11. Cattledogz

Cattledogz New Member

State:
    NC
    Gorgeous colors Swampy.

12. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    i dont have any daylillies at the moment. Im rearing dwarf iris's and candy iris's.

13. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Hey Swampy, emersome beautiful flowers. My wife & I just moved into our new home with 2.25 acres of land & a little creek that is just screamin' out to be planted with flowers. Will you sell me some bulbs that I can plant here? :worship:

14. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    The cultivars marked (Munson) are my mentor's,the ones marked (T. Arnold) are seedlings from my own crosses. The ones marked other then that are from other breeders.

15. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    We've never crossed them but we do have them planted in our yard. This year alone we've planted daylilies, divided our hostas at the end of last year, roses of about every variety, pansies, mums and my favorite zinnias. Being from a farm i've always enjoyed workin out in the yard.

16. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Cheryl,
    I really don't know much about them :),I was just lucky to have the the right teacher.

Barb,
    I got a few and it was fun to grow them,I got a few more still having fun. Then I ended up with a daylily farm & somehow it turned into WORK!LOL

Pat,
    I'd like to but at this time I can't sale or ship any plants. I closed the farm a while back and turned in my Ag. stamp,I can't sale or ship without that stamp #. I may open it back up not sure yet,I'll let you know if I do.

17. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Thanks! Thought I would ask just in case :)

18. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    I will post some of my seedlings when and if they bloom this year.

19. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    They are great plants, tho they really spread. I had a house that I gave lots and lots away. Had to make new friends just to share them. lol

20. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Yeah a lot of them do grow & spread fast. The daylilies I grow are almost all TETS,meaning they have a double set of genes. All my breeding stock is TET. & all my seedlings are from LINE BREEDING. LINE BRED tet. plants grow at a much slower rate then a single cross bred plant. They have larger thicker flowers with deeper colors,but it takes a lot longer to grow stock to market.