Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was wondering what methods you guys employ while fishing for flatheads during the day. I have always tried floating my bait around ledges and rocks with a float but found that really didn't work all that well. Recently I changed up the rigs I was using and did something different and actually yielded a fish. In my crudely drawn picture, you can see I put the split shot on the line with the slip sinker so that I can change the depth that the bait floats or swims around at. I also jigged it slowly to add some movement. I am not sure if this helped out or not. Who knows. Anyone else have any methods they would like to share?

Attachments

· Premium Member
6,985 Posts
For daytime Flathead catfishing, success is often measured in inches.

There will be some transient movement by Flathead Catfish from primary pieces of habitat, to alternate pieces of habitat, but overall, they will be positioned in ambush mode / rest mode within or around their primary structure / habitat.

Success greatly depends on the bait's position.

You must get the bait within the strike / ambush range of the fish your targeting.

I have seen many times, a slight adjustment on a primary piece of cover yield the fish.

When fishing like this, you will want to use terminal rigs that keep the bait in place, and allow maximum control.

This helps to reduce snagging, and allows a tighter focus.

Freedom Rigs, or rigs which allow wide bait movement are great when they are patrolling and moving looking for food.

This is normally in limited visibility times.

Rigs which promote bait vibration, and bait movement are best during these times. Often times, distressing the bait fish is done to help "announce" the bait fish is present.

· Registered
5,832 Posts
yeah,what paul said,i think.

the tighter to the cover the better.often in the light of the day,the bait has to nearly touch the nose of the fish.if you can get your bait with in inches of the fish,and as paul stated,hold it there,your in bussiness.i use the carolina rig,so i can control my bait better.short leader,4 to 6 inches,for fishing tight to cover.and my favorite saying,if your not getting hung,your not flathead fishing.

· Banned
700 Posts
So I was wondering what methods you guys employ while fishing for flatheads during the day. I have always tried floating my bait around ledges and rocks with a float but found that really didn't work all that well. Recently I changed up the rigs I was using and did something different and actually yielded a fish. In my crudely drawn picture, you can see I put the split shot on the line with the slip sinker so that I can change the depth that the bait floats or swims around at. I also jigged it slowly to add some movement. I am not sure if this helped out or not. Who knows. Anyone else have any methods they would like to share?
Rob i like the drawling and it look's like a system that just might work? You got 1 fish off that rig but you didn't give us detail's bought that 1 catch you made? like paul said tight to cover in day time and if it's raining and cloudy all the better.......sniper

· Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rob i like the drawling and it look's like a system that just might work? You got 1 fish off that rig but you didn't give us detail's bought that 1 catch you made? like paul said tight to cover in day time and if it's raining and cloudy all the better.......sniper
The one fish was my PB flathead I caught on friday. That's why I was wondering if I was onto something. But after what all of you guys said I am thinking the fact I was just moving my bait around to different spots around these giant rocks, I probably put the bait right in front of the fish. I am slowly learning that location is probably 90% of the technique. The hole where I pulled out the 30 lber is a hole where I caught a 14 inch channel cat that had been attacked by a larger flathead. I am thinking there may be more large ones down there. It is a spot that people fished a lot in the 70's from what I hear but people pretty much stopped fishing there because you have to walk down...well a cliff.

· Registered
30 Posts
The one fish was my PB flathead I caught on friday. That's why I was wondering if I was onto something. But after what all of you guys said I am thinking the fact I was just moving my bait around to different spots around these giant rocks, I probably put the bait right in front of the fish. I am slowly learning that location is probably 90% of the technique. The hole where I pulled out the 30 lber is a hole where I caught a 14 inch channel cat that had been attacked by a larger flathead. I am thinking there may be more large ones down there. It is a spot that people fished a lot in the 70's from what I hear but people pretty much stopped fishing there because you have to walk down...well a cliff.

By walk, he means repel down a cliff face with your gear while trying not to smash your face in on the rocks below. LOL It's nice though...I think it keeps the riffraff out. =)

What are your plans this week, Rob? I think I want to spend some time down there this weekend.

· Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
By walk, he means repel down a cliff face with your gear while trying not to smash your face in on the rocks below. LOL It's nice though...I think it keeps the riffraff out. =)

What are your plans this week, Rob? I think I want to spend some time down there this weekend.

I will be down in Kentucky at lake cumberland. I am helping my girlfriend fix up her parents lake house so they can sell it. If you are going fishing I think tonight or tomorrow is your best bet. They have been biting the cut shad but watch out because the gar are starting to run a little. I haven't seen any at the rockpile but they are all over the whirlpool.

· Registered
30 Posts
I will be down in Kentucky at lake cumberland. I am helping my girlfriend fix up her parents lake house so they can sell it. If you are going fishing I think tonight or tomorrow is your best bet. They have been biting the cut shad but watch out because the gar are starting to run a little. I haven't seen any at the rockpile but they are all over the whirlpool.
Alright. Have fun down there =). Yea...the rain always seems tom wash the gar in around here...I think I'll be going out friday night.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.