day time fishing

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by tugrivercater, Jul 15, 2006.

1. tugrivercater

tugrivercater New Member

State:
    ky
    is night fishing really that much better than day? i ask because im wanting to try this hole on a small river that a friend of mine just cught a 17lb flat head out of, but it is rough to get to with about a 1/4 mile walk down a mountian over ditched and creeks through weeds around rocks and so on. ill be alone and really dont want to make that trip out of there in the dark. Ill be fishing to flats and channels both but want to know if i have a chance on hooking a flat in day light hours. thanks

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I prefer fishing in the daytime I can't say that fishing at night is any better for me than day. I can say it is more comfortable at night during the hotter times of the year. I have fished both and have caught fish both night and day. If you look at the avatars you will see a lot of people's fish are caught during the daylight hours. the two fish in mine were caught at 1:00 in the afternoon.

3. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I have never caught a flat during the day. Granted I dont fish em during the day very often.

4. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    I think you have the chance of being just as lucky during the day as at night. You may have to fish closer to cover but the fish should be there. Good luck

5. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I seldom fish at night. Mornings after sunup and late afternoon has been good fishing for me.

6. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I always fish in the daytime unless it dark when I'm fishing and I don't catch just as many in the day as I don't catch at night

7. mobowhtr

mobowhtr Member

State:
    MO
    I usally have my best luck mid day and sunset with the edge going to sunset, especialy for flats. To fish for daytime flats I think you will need to get your bait right up in the cover, in their face so to speak, if you can do that without getting hung up you should be able to catch flats. Just my best guess, I'm sure you'll hear from people here who know a lot more than I do.

8. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I have only been able to fish twice the last two weeks and both times were during the daytime from around 8:00 A.M. Through a little after noon. didnt do very well either time. Only caught 11 fish combined both trips with 3 in the 8 - 10 lb. range. The reports Im getting from fishing buddies around this area the best fishing has been from 6:00 P.M. through 8:00 A.M. the next day. Right now Im just getting to go when I can and not when I want to or I would definately be fishing at night.

9. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Townville, South Carolina
    Fishing when you can go is the best fishing ever. I usally fish after work till right before dark I hardly stay out after dark anymore due to having to go to work early. I have caught more catfish in the daytime than I have at night however I prefer night esp this time of year do to the weather.
    Stephen

10. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    If you are going to be fishing for flats you have to pretty much throw the bait in there face in the day time. They will be in the biggest pile of brush or log jam or in the deepest channel laying. At dark they come out and feed and is best time to catch them. I'm not saying you cant catch them in the day my biggest Flathead was caught at 2:00 in the day. But better chance to catch them at night unless you got the perfect place where they lay during the day and throw the bait in there face.
    I'm no pro just my 2 cents.

11. tugrivercater

tugrivercater New Member

State:
    ky
    well the place im wanting to go dosent really have any cover so to speak. i posted about this spot a week or 2 ago. it is where the state build a rock bridge across the river with large bolders about 4 years to do some work, then when they pulled out they just remover the bolders in the center of the river creating a funnel. so the watter comming out of this funnel is moveing extreamly fast and i asume that due to the fastness of the water it has washed a pretty deep hole out in the river. avrage depth of this river is probally 3-6 feet deep but has prodused 70+lb flat heads in the early 90,s by finger fisherman. I will also have a line with cut bait out hopeing a nice channel cat will snach it up. will channels bite during day better than flats? i have never caught a flat head and my biggest channel is no more than 5 lbs so im hopeing that this hole of water that my buddy showed me will produce a nice sized fish for me. he had also caught 12-15lb channels out of here and had 50lb spider wire broke on sevrel accasions.

12. lnghr22

lnghr22 New Member

State:
    Texas
    in all the magazines that i have read they say that the flathead will be in the thickest stuff in the day and you have to about throw your bait right on top of their head to get them to bite but at nite they come out and feed

13. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I do almost all my flathead fishing in the day time. A lot of what people say about Flatheads is wrong, they will and do feed in the daylight hours. Flats will be on drop offs, rock banks, cut banks and also in and around logs. Dam tail races are good places to fish in the daylight.

14. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I understand what you are saying about trying find your way around in the dark going around obstacles and being alone and all of that good stuff just to try and fish this hole in dark...it can make the decision of day fishing that much easier for you. But if you really want to try it and truly find out for yourself wether to night fish or day fish this hole, I would simply do both. I would pack up the least amount of gear you need and head out to the hole about 2 hours before it gets dark, get there, get set up and start fishing and keep on fishing through the darkness and wait for the early morning to arrive to give you enough sunlight to get back out without any problems. that way you get to fish a couple of hours in the daylight and then about 7 hours in the dark and however many hours you want when the sun comes up. It sounds like a long time but those late night hours go by quick especially if your bait clicker is screaming at you. Take plenty of pop / soda to help stay alert and awake and take a bunch of alcohol if you start to get scared. The only thing more peaceful than fishing in the dark is the minute you get home and fall asleep and dream about all the fish you just caught.

Can't catch them if you don't try