Day time fishin durin the summer

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by rednecksportsman511, Jul 30, 2006.

1. rednecksportsman511

rednecksportsman511 New Member

State:
    Birmingham, AL
    Well, i was readin an article one day and read that for some reason, and nobody knows why, people find more success with catfish in the summer when they fish durin the heat of the day. Now, this sounded absurd to me, but i decided to try it a while back, cuz i havent landed a decent cat since the winter.

So i set out a line like i always do, this time i was using nightcrawlers. went to bass fishin to pass the time, caught a couple small ones. i had noticed a hit earlier on my cat line, but it didnt take. but about half an hour after that first hit, my rod was bent and line tight. so i ran over and after untanglin some of my freind's line from my reel, i began to reel and surprisingly landed my first decent size cat of the summer, all in the heat of the day. it weighed in at 4lbs 5 oz, was a bit on the slim side tho.

JW, yall had any similar success in the daytime?

2. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Man you ain't gona catch JW out in the hot sun fishin, his tractor is even has air-conditioning.:lol:

3. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Maybe if my A/C gives it up...:lol:

4. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    john, I'll just have to take your word for it about cats biting better during the heat of the day...................I've turned nocturnal since the heat's been turned up:sad2:. Drifting the flats with blood and shad have been good after the sun get's hid.

5. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    John, ive never had much luck fishing for channels in the daytime, too danged hot, so ill just take your word for it.

6. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I fish mainly in the daytime. Catch most of my channels between 9 and 3, don't know why those hours, except it gets damn hot in Texas after 3. Most of the ones I catch are between 14" and 4 lbs, but I've caught a bunch of 5's and my biggest was a 7, he hit about 2:30 in the afternoon. On one lake I fish, the hydrilla is so bad that I have to float the bait under a foam cigar bobber. Fish from 4-6 ft deep and catch some nice ones that way. The time to go fishing is when you can get away and do it, daytime, nightime, or whatever, don't matter, the fish are there somewhere and hungry most of the time.

7. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Last year my three biggest kitties were caught during the hot time of the day. All three were around 9 lbs. Guess I better start doing a little day time fishing, haven't been catching much at night, but do like fishing at night.

8. rednecksportsman511

rednecksportsman511 New Member

State:
    Birmingham, AL
    lol yeah, it gets hot, but i have band camp from 7-12 monday-friday for 3 weeks straight and after that, heat doesnt bother ya much, plus ya get a good tan. lol
    went out today, didnt get any cats but got several bream...

9. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    yeah iv done good in the afternoon caught a flatty 35# bout at 2pm one day last week went back the next night and caught the same flatty at 930pm but the fish will eat when ever you want to feed them lol just gotta get out there and get it done

10. catfish nick

catfish nick New Member

State:
    south jersey
    im primarly a day fisher...i also get the most action on crawlers...around me tho lot of people like usin chicken livers im gonna give it a whirl sometime this week

11. primitive

primitive Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    I have been doing real well during the day even in this ninety degree weather. The cats I caught were full of crawdads. I've caught many on bait shrimp, most grocery stores have them in the freezer section, good bait. primitive

12. thomcat

thomcat New Member

State:
    pennsylvania 17745
    I'm gonna throw a line out today with a night crawler and see what happens! I never really thought to catfish during the day. We see them all the time over the side of the canoe, swimming in tightly packed groups headed up river usually. Didn't think they usually fed in the heat of day.

13. If I were a hard ass I would fish anytime of day no matter what the temperature. At least I would always have the saying a bad day of fishing is always better than a good day of work.

14. Curly

Curly New Member

State:
    OHIO
    I would say 90 % of the channels i caught this year were caught about 6 to 9 pm (when i get off work). And i have caught most of them on a slip bobber set to 4 to 6 foot deep! So, i feel they eat pretty much all the time. They have yet to prove me wrong anyway.

15. sairving

sairving New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Congrats on the catch. It must be really nice to get to catch a nice size cat. Great job!!!

16. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    We do most of our fishing at night because we only bank fish and wait until it's a little cooler and they come closer to the banks.

I think the temp was 100+ here yesterday.
    We decided to do a little day fishing yesterday and we had some pretty good hits, but all we caught were a few perch and a 1lb bass.
    The area we were fishing, was a new area to us, so I don't even know if there's any cat's in the area, but we didn't didn't catch any.

I did have one nice fish on for a little while, but he wasn't hooked good and got off and I don't know what it was, but it acted a little like a cat, but I'm not sure?

We had a good time anyway?

Ken

17. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    When I was much younger I would start fishin' for cats as early as 3-4 in the afternoon. Fish didn't seem to mind the heat, but the older I got, I did. I'm too accustomed to the AC to even talk about that at this time of year now. That's a young man's game. Jack.

18. ko1featherweigh

ko1featherweigh New Member

State:
    newark,cal
    my buddys catch there cats during the day but for me i start catching around sun set about 7-9 is when i start to get my hits

19. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    At 57, guess I'm still young, do most of my fishing during the day. Don't know when to come in, fish from 7 to 7 lots of days.

20. BigCat4

BigCat4 New Member

State:
    Quincy,Ill
    There was catfishing tournament last weekend and the highest weight was almost 200 pounds in 2 days i think most were channels...i went yesterday and i cought at least 15 or morr channels about 4-9 inches on worm and a ngiht nothing but pirch and carp so i think day time hours are better