day or night?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by oklahoma caveman, Jan 14, 2009.

1. oklahoma caveman

oklahoma caveman New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    iv always been told that flathead fishin is better at night, but it seems like an unusually high percentage of avatar pic showing flatheads are in the daytime. so folks is that when you are catching your fish or did you just wait til daylight to take the picture? just curious folks

2. flatheadcat4u

flatheadcat4u New Member

State:
    Westmoreland, K
    ive taken flatheads both day and night but my bigger fish do come at night but now i fish out of a boat so i can target bigger fish during the day :wink:

3. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I fish when I can. If you are targeting them during the day you have to fish the structure and if you fish for them at night fish the shallows close to the structure or deeper water. I perfer to fish the night hours though.

4. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I only fish in the day time . I have found that there are flatheads feeding all all hours of the day.Some of my best catches have been mid day

5. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    I only target Flatheads at night. I have caught some nice Flatheads during the day, especially in the spring.

6. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky

I agree with this 100%. I am a bank fisherman and do all my flathead fishing at night. If I had a boat, I would definetly target flatheads in structure during the daylight hours as well. But since I am limited to only bank fishing....I fish the shallows at night. It works for me!!!!:wink:

7. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I catch them both in the day and night-night seems to produce better results but its a myth thats been broke sayin that you'll only catch em at night........hell high noon on one the hottest dayz of summer I loaded the boat with all three species of cats here..(channel-blues & flatts)..fish whenever you can whenever you want if ya danglin them vittles and get there tention you'll catch if there there least thats what I think & have found!

8. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    My avatar pic was taken just after sunset this past fall, and is the only flathead that I caught during "daylight" all of last year. Most of my past avatars have been taken in the dark, just thought I'd put that up for a change.

9. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

Many of the hardcore flatheaders wait until the end of the fishing session to take a pics because we always yearn for the experience of having pics with more than one big flathead. So in the morning when all fishing is done, that's when we take our pic.

My avatar is a freak-of-nature day when it was 98 degrees in late June. i had a rod out for a daytime flat and as you can see, they were very hungry at 4:00PM.

10. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    In the Fall it seems like the Flats bite better a few hours before sunset.

11. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    I mostly fish at night, take a picture right after the catch, then release the fish. Only once have I kept a big fish to take a picture in the morning...

12. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    And I must say, Bob that that is a lovely avatar photo that you have there. Good looking fish. Looks like a real nice boat you're sitting in, too!

(Just kidding around. Look forward to fishing with you again soon.)

13. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I believe if I ever do catch a flathead I will take a pic of it right away and release it immediately or any fish for that matter any fish I deem large enough to take a pic of. I'm going to be keeping a journal of fish caught this season for my own record:wink:

14. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Actually, the biggest Flathead I have ever caught hit after the sun came up in the morning. For me, it's hard to beat sittin' out on the river all night long. Night will always be my preference for Flatheadin'. Fish or no fish, I love the sounds and overall experience.

15. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    I believe in practice, practice, practice.mostly focus on fishing at night ,thinking the flats feed in the shallows at night. I will go fishing during the day and fish for flats thinking it maybe a little slower. Day fish deep, night fish shallow. The live bait for flats is generally sleeping or less active after dark[bluegill, etc.] making them an easier target for the flats, just my thoughts.

16. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    All my big fish have come at night. That may be because I fish mostly at night. There have been times when I fish from daylight up to noon...but I havent caught any big ones in the daylight. I always take a picture as soon as the fish is caught and then release immediately.:wink:

17. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    How big is that Jim 20" channel? :smile2::wink: The first time that big ole flatty chomps and rolls on your fingers, you'll know what it's all about. We'll fish that spot I showed ya together in the spring, and get you all straitend out.

18. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Almost all of my big flatheads come right before dark or after dark. I like the morning bite also, when the birds start chirping until shorty after light. I have caught flatheads during the daytime like in my albums, but I, and my buddies that fish with me, have caught and done better for flatheads during the dark hours than the daylight. We also mainly catch all our flatheads on livebaits. Flatheads are more of an nocturnal fish for moving around out of the structure and shade to feed. I think if you catch them consistently in the daylight, you are fishing deeper holding areas, or shaded zones, including big stucture areas whether it be timber or big rock below riffles, where their sences take over by placing baits close to them, and holding behind these current break areas for holding zones.. But they aren't searching to feed as much as night! I don't believe flatheads move into shallow lighted areas looking to feed during the day.. Just my opinion.. And, we actually use a high beam spotlight to hold on heavy structure at night, after hooking good fish to try to keep them from swimming into close structure areas. The fish we catch during the daytime are in the cold water periods still. Early spring, late fall, and winter.. Other than that it has been a proven night bite for me and the guys!!....rollo

19. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    I know Ken I never got one yet I know I have a good chance to get some I been Live mapping the area,either on the banks or with Lenny in the boat or in the morning with my Father-in-Law I will get one.I'm gonna spend so much time there my wife won't know who I am any more:smile2: ,Actually I ordered her a combo too for when her dad goes I have faith I will get one a good size too:wink:

20. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    Plus I got so much great tips and advice from everyone on here and I bought all the right gear I am as you would say on the right path.I will be fishing waters known to hold flatheads ,with bait flatheads are known to eat.I have a pretty good chance of catching one even if its 5# I will have a picture of my first:wink: