Day?Or Night?which is your best time to hang in to a big flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Tony Long, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Tony Long

Tony Long New Member

State:
    Glasgow,Ky
    Hi guy's,I am new to this site and thank you all for your great tips!!I have a question for all the guy's and gal's out there that fish for the big flatties!I have heard that flatheads feed primarily at night,is this true?And i also hear that after dark that they will come up and feed in the shallows!!Is this true too??Thank you!!:confused2:

2. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Welcome aboard to the BOC Tony. Right now I would say day or night both are good an the under banks ect seems to be the best spots.

3. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    Night and I agree around structure has been producing for me:wink:

4. catman13

catman13 New Member

State:
    ARIZONA
    I catch most after dark n 10 ft up to 3ft deep up till 430 or so on live bait big bait the better for me up to 10in long 12 hook. Ouch!! Good luck read the bank out of water for trees above the bank and boulders ,ripraff and such that above the water line is usually fallen under water under down gravity pulls! Shallows big fish feed where littler fish hide goodluck!!

5. allflats

allflats Member

State:
    Kentucky
    For me it is after dark or just before can sometimes be good.

6. catfish1083

catfish1083 New Member

State:
    georgia
    night time is the right time for big flats in shallow water around structure:wink:

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Spring and fall we catch em during the daytime. But, night time seems to be best around structure whether it be rock or wood. Night time flathead fishing to me is best in my opinion! rollo

8. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    nite has always been best for me they will come to shore at nite to feed.:wink:

9. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    Based on what I've learned thus far my answer would be that it seems as though it is dependant on time of year which equates to water temperature. Warmer days this time of year is what seems to be better, especially if there is slight cloud cover. I however am by no means an expert. Night time in the summer is very good. JMHO

Ray

10. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Nights for me.I like the 1/2 before sunset to the first 2 hours after sunset the best.:wink:

11. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i've caught a few during the day but mostly target them at nite, the past month the early bite has been better(just before dark) but during the day i target deeper holes and once its dark i target around structure closer to shore

12. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Shorelines are dynamite! Right up on the banks during the warm water months is what I love also man! rollo

13. keepitsimple

keepitsimple New Member

State:
    virginia
    Give me early spring when they start running up the river in daylight, anytime. Everyones working and I can sneak up on them.

14. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    night time is ths best by far in my oppinion,but i've had some of my best days in the day when a storm moves in,right before during and after some nasty weather is great.it will be miserable but most of the time well worth it.if you do fish like this use common sense,if it gets too bad get out!!!just be safe and good fishing.:0a23::cool2:

15. catmanoneufala

catmanoneufala New Member

State:
    seale,alabama
    during to hot days of summer its night time fishing for me....any other time day time is the way to go

16. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    well up until this last year I would have said strictly nightime, but I actually hit some bigguns in the early morning between 7-10am this year. Kinda threw me for a loop :confused2:

17. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Depends on the season. I've caught some big ones in the middle of the day in the spring.

18. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    If you fish during the daytime, you have to hit them on the head with the bait.:eek:oooh:

If you fish at night, you have to wait foe them to come and eat your offering.

Nightime for me only!

19. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    caught most of mine early mornings